Favorite Pinto AA/FC? (1 Viewer)

Al Hanna's Pinto F/C gets my vote
al hanna.png

I remember hearing a story that said the Pinto was more aerodynamic going backwards.... Well, they did make a cool looking F/C. I remember when they came out, along w/ the Vega, I think 1971. War story: when I bought my Pinto, I really liked the engine, 2000 CC 4 banger. I thought the Vega was the better looking car (altho they had lotsa problems w/ poor engine design. The block would crack) So my wild hair was to get a Vega & put the Pinto engine & trans in it. Heresy! Once at the old Irwindale, I raced my Pinto against a Vega. He got me off the line, & 17.0 seconds later, I passed him in the lights. We talked & he'd done the same w/ his engine as mine, ie: aluminum intake manifold, re-tuned the carb, etc. I had a Mallory distributor & Offy intake manifold. Engine was stock. I read Popular Hot Rodding articles on Project Pinto & that is what I followed w/ my car. Even had it dyno tuned by Ak Miller, 105 HP at the rear wheels. I think it was 1/2 second quicker than pure stock.

The guy who was runner-up in Stock at Lions Last Race was in a Pinto. He was running mid 16's w/ stock exhaust manifold (class was "pure stock", could only blueprint the engine). I think his name was Matt Esposito??? He did really well in that class in 1972. Also, Dave Benesic (Sp?) who won the race in a Buick I think, also did really well at local races. That class was strange, no headers, etc like today in Stock. You were allowed to run a cut out & that was it.

I don't have a favorite Pinto FC; I never liked that body style at all. My preference was the late 60's Charger-bodied cars, none more prominent than the Chi-Town Hustler. Or would you prefer a Pinto? :)

d6adsaa-6f56a3d1-d73c-4278-a568-f4afd660ac2b.jpg

This one. I had one as a kid, but it was hard to get it away from the adults.

Attachments

• Rare-Vintage-1973-Cox-Pinto-Funny-Car-Tether.jpg
    Rare-Vintage-1973-Cox-Pinto-Funny-Car-Tether.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 74
Carl, heresy to put the Chi Town in a Pinto thread. Well, I will forgive you if you get a Pinto F/C model car & build it for us.... :)

Carl, heresy to put the Chi Town in a Pinto thread. Well, I will forgive you if you get a Pinto F/C model car & build it for us.... :)
OK...OK....if you're gonna get ugly about it.... :p Here's a Pinto FC that looks pretty good. Always a fan of Stone, Woods and Cook.
unnamed.jpg

One thing about the early M/T Pintos & Mustangs, they had real Ford engines in 'em. I think some had the Cammer & others the Boss429

How about a AMC / Rambler thread? I still love my Pintos. Lessee, someone make a 72 Pinto station wagon body and someone else clone one of the old Wonder Wagon Vegas, and we'll have some match races. Maybe only 1/8 mile, cuz those cars were a bit, uh, squirrley......

I think you should start a Charger AA/FC thread, I know I would enjoy that
Here ya go, Mark!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back