Favorite Mustang FC (2 Viewers)

Not a funny car - it was an AA/GS - but at the time, this was my favorite Mustang drag car and it still ranks right up there. "Ohio George" Montgomery's Boss 429 powered Malco Gasser.

View attachment 7260

I think he also ran this car with a turbocharger. He got in to turbos back then. Even had a AA/MC (AA/Modified Compact), a Ford Pinto w/ turbo 4 cyl. Ran like stink, but ahead of its time.

This has always been my favorite since I saw it on this card as a kid. Have never been able to identify it though. Can anyone help?
E978A785-0424-4369-980B-7FB76BFD8581.jpeg

I think he also ran this car with a turbocharger. He got in to turbos back then. Even had a AA/MC (AA/Modified Compact), a Ford Pinto w/ turbo 4 cyl. Ran like stink, but ahead of its time.
Close it was this one
1609424700522.png

but did have a BB/FC with twin turbos
1609424804427.png

these are not my photos, taken from the interwebs

I'd say the '75 Mustang is I liked the most like this one of the Trojan Horse. Next would be a '71 body used by some of the nostalgia guys.

Attachments

• fullerton.jpg
    fullerton.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 83
I'm thinking this was an alky F/C that ran the AHRA circuit. Pretty sure it ran the old Tucson Dragway, very early 1980's, when AHRA had it's Winternats there. Maybe mid-west driver? Car looks familiar. Any guesses?

It took me a while, but I think It's Richard Smith's "WarHawk" Alky Funny Car from Kansas. 99.9% sure
And I do know Richard switched to Jet Funny Cars in the late 80s and moved to Oregon. For the
last 20 plus years I have seen the WarHawk jet FC a bunch of times here in the Northwest. I believe he
is with the Darin Bay jet car team now. Saw the Alky Funny Car at Spokane a couple of times in the early to mid 80s
AHRA World Finals. I think I even had the t-shirt NOW LOOK above the rear tire it sure looks like the war hawk name

1609457162819.png

Last edited:
It took me a while, but I think It's Richard Smith's "War Hawk" Alky Funny Car from Kansas. 99.9% sure
And I do know Richard switched to Jet Funny Cars in the late 80s and moved to Oregon. For the
last 20 plus years I have seen the War Hawk jet FC a bunch of times here in the Northwest. I believe he
is with the Darin Bay jet car team now. Saw the Alky Funny Car at Spokane a couple of times in the early to mid 80s
AHRA World Finals. I think I even had the t-shirt NOW LOOK above the rear tire it sure looks like the war hawk name

View attachment 7279

I agree with this. The name rings a bell. Thought it was a cool car. Am thinking it ran 6.70's (?) back then.

Let us not forget folks the turbo Mustang of the Mallicoat Bros. Saw that thing run at Fremont.

TopFuel@Lions
Remember they had a 68-69 Cuda and before that a Willy's, never saw pics of a Mustang. Me being from the Midwest never saw them in person just pics in magazines

I agree with this. The name rings a bell. Thought it was a cool car. Am thinking it ran 6.70's (?) back then.
Found some info, in one of my Super Stock & Drag Illustrated Nov 1984 issue. Richard Smith in his "WarHawk"
Mustang Alcohol Funny Car wins event 1984 ADRA Grandnationals at Dragway 42
Smith was #1 Qualifer @ 6.49/215 for low ET and Top Speed of the meet. No pictures

Last edited:
It took me a while, but I think It's Richard Smith's "War Hawk" Alky Funny Car from Kansas. 99.9% sure
last 20 plus years I have seen the War Hawk jet FC a bunch of times here in the Northwest. I believe he

View attachment 7279
Great info! Thank you for your email insights. I agree that the text above the rear wheel says ‘Warhawk’ so I reckon you’re right. Now to find more evidence of this elsewhere on the net!

I wonder what happened to JD Bohi Homes?!

I did research on JD Bohi Homes, cuz was trying to find out about Smith's funny car. Nothing came up. Well, it was a long time ago, so who knows. When I saw that car run at Tucson, it did make a good impression on me. Didn't win but it was a hard runner.

James "East," is that you? Long time since the Yahoo FC Groups, eh?
I too agree that the '72 Brutus was arguably the best looking Mustang FC. Here's the best online pic I could find.
It's an L&M Photo Card, taken at the '72 Gators when it was brand new. I scrolled down to see that I sent Vince Putt a correction years ago (kinda funny). But yeah, that candy orange over pearl, plus the purple fade pattern, the nitro molecules on top and the alternating blue-green accents in the BRUTUS lettering all added up one gorgeous FC. Too bad most of it faded through the course of the '72 season. Lew Arrington III told me that the painter forgot to add a clearcoat or some other kind of sun protection.
Yes, James East here. Good to hear from James West. You got the cooler nickname.

I'd like to add Gary Burgin's 1976 Mustang. That car tore up the Eastern tracks that summer setting track records almost everywhere. Handed " Snake" his only national event loss in the final of Indy that year.

I did research on JD Bohi Homes, cuz was trying to find out about Smith's funny car. Nothing came up. Well, it was a long time ago, so who knows. When I saw that car run at Tucson, it did make a good impression on me. Didn't win but it was a hard runner.
In my January 1985 SS&DI issue...Richard Smith 1984 ADRA Alcohol Funny Car World Champion
Remember in 1984 ADRA was a spin-off of the AHRA was having financial problems

Last edited:
ADRA went out of business also. I read that they had one last race & stranded all the drivers w/o checks, like Don Garlits.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back