Fantasy Time-If You Had A Drag Strip? (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
Ok folks it is time to dream, if you could build and own a drag strip?

Where?
How long in total length?
1/8, 1000ft, 1320?
Day(s) or nights of operation?
Lighting?
Seating style and capacity?
Concessions?
Rest rooms?
Scoreboards?
Shut down, up hill, flat, right side or left side turn outs.
Staging lanes, behind track, curved from the side?
Self Imposed Curfew?
Tower design and where?
All Paved Pits?
Parking lot, grass, gravel or totally paved?

Classes of weekly operation?
Special Events?
Divisional and National Events?
Season length?

OR?????????????

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer
Nostalgia events?
Motorcycle only meets

I would build an exact copy of Lions. Things I would change would be concrete guard rails, longer shut off, better restrooms, paved parking (altho I might keep the telephone poles that ya parked aganist & maybe a gravel parking for nostalgia sake). 1/4 mile, but I would also run 1/8 for big ET races, Pro Mod, maybe some AA/FA, etc etc. Would add score boards. Paved pits & they would be like Lions had. Maybe a bit bigger cuz need room for 18 wheelers. Races every Wed nite for test n tune, etc. Sat night would be the Show, Q during the day. Sunday sportsmen (like in the old days), altho I could adjust the schedule for various kinds of races.

The Show: nostalgia T/F, F/C, follow the Heritage rules. Alky classes - 8 F/C & 8 T/AD. Funny Car Chaos would be cool. Would always want some type of heads up classes on Sat nite. Lions ran AA/FA, JR/F, Top Gas, etc. OK, could run 8 car heads up T/D, T/S, Pro Mod, see what I could come up with. Maybe a 7.0 Pro type of class? Would want Divisional races. Could run a mini series for sportsmen, with, say, 16 cars per class. A National meet? Would welcome that.

Would get the best lighting. Lions was hard to see the cars at night. You'd see them off the line and then it was header flames the rest of the way down (loved that). I would run all year if possible. Would build the track here in Arizona in a place where I would not have a curfew, altho I might cut it off 11 PM, go later if need to. Oh, stands. Would build replicas of Lions stands, could add more if needed. The pits side stands - might have those a little bit further from the track or maybe a bit further down track.

Would need boatloads of $$$. This would be a bit hard to do, keeping the original Lions layout but having to adjust to modern day racing. Just my dream track. heh

I would build an exact copy of Lions. Things I would change would be concrete guard rails, longer shut off, better restrooms, paved parking (altho I might keep the telephone poles that ya parked aganist & maybe a gravel parking for nostalgia sake). 1/4 mile, but I would also run 1/8 for big ET races, Pro Mod, maybe some AA/FA, etc etc. Would add score boards. Paved pits & they would be like Lions had. Maybe a bit bigger cuz need room for 18 wheelers. Races every Wed nite for test n tune, etc. Sat night would be the Show, Q during the day. Sunday sportsmen (like in the old days), altho I could adjust the schedule for various kinds of races.

The Show: nostalgia T/F, F/C, follow the Heritage rules. Alky classes - 8 F/C & 8 T/AD. Funny Car Chaos would be cool. Would always want some type of heads up classes on Sat nite. Lions ran AA/FA, JR/F, Top Gas, etc. OK, could run 8 car heads up T/D, T/S, Pro Mod, see what I could come up with. Maybe a 7.0 Pro type of class? Would want Divisional races. Could run a mini series for sportsmen, with, say, 16 cars per class. A National meet? Would welcome that.

Would get the best lighting. Lions was hard to see the cars at night. You'd see them off the line and then it was header flames the rest of the way down (loved that). I would run all year if possible. Would build the track here in Arizona in a place where I would not have a curfew, altho I might cut it off 11 PM, go later if need to. Oh, stands. Would build replicas of Lions stands, could add more if needed. The pits side stands - might have those a little bit further from the track or maybe a bit further down track.

Would need boatloads of $$$. This would be a bit hard to do, keeping the original Lions layout but having to adjust to modern day racing. Just my dream track. heh
You're a dream track is here at Route 66 Chicagoland the only thing I would add is a Indy type return Road past the spectators

I'm with you on that one David, only thing better is if was built up here in Wisconsin where the original proposal was. By the way this is Bryan from Erickson Auto Trim. Good to see your alive and kickin. Hopefully get to see you at the 2022 race!

I'm with you on that one David, only thing better is if was built up here in Wisconsin where the original proposal was. By the way this is Bryan from Erickson Auto Trim. Good to see your alive and kickin. Hopefully get to see you at the 2022 race!
you've got a pretty great track in WI that only continues to get better. racers love it. rock falls.

I would build Maple Grove in my woods behind my house. But in reality I would find an area that wouldn't bother the locals and had better access. Quarter mile racing but 1/8 line for those who need it.
I would use it all the time myself, and then schedule racing for the public. There would be a long indoor pavilion for winter drags of radio control stuff and I would invite food trucks and porta potty companies in so I didn't get involved with the board of health and all that. No huge posse crowds on the starting line and any money changing hands from betting I wouldn't want to know anything about that....hear that IRS?! Part of me wants NASCAR style soft walls and high fencing to catch these new flying Pro Mods before they ball themselves up on the grass after barrel rolling...might be safer to bounce them back on the track surface. Might even consider a small wall down the center to keep people from destroying their competition after a minor mishap.
Lewis Bloom would have to come back home to the US so it had the E-town feel during events. If you are a NHRA Drag Racing star you get free lifetime entry if you sign autographs for the kids.

Was thinking, where do you find space where you wouldn't have any neighbors? Oh wait, I know a place in Nevada. Middle of nowhere and all ya gotta worry about are some, ah, strange aircraft flying at night.....

Was thinking, where do you find space where you wouldn't have any neighbors? Oh wait, I know a place in Nevada. Middle of nowhere and all ya gotta worry about are some, ah, strange aircraft flying at night.....

LVMS has only 1 neighbor, Nellis Air Force Base. No time/noise restrictions. That's why it makes me crazy they no longer run the fuel cars there for a night qualifying session.

Since I never was able to get to Lions I can't say whether the layout wiould work for my fantasy track.
But I did get to OCIR (Orange County) quite often and always thought the design worked very well. All paved facility, push-start fire-up road right in front of the pit-side grandstands could be modified to work well as a return road similar to how Pomona is currently set up,. I would have an all-concrete racing surface for both durability and consistency. I'd also modernize to concrete guard rails and tall LED lighting like you find at current SoCal freeway interchanges.
The wooden stands at Famoso closest to the starting line are from Lions and great for their nostalgic feel but I would upgrade to all-aluminum seating with backrests - and more room between both individual seat location numbers and more space between rows so people exiting the seats can safely and comfortably pass in front of seated spectators.
I'd also have to modify the concessions a bit to be more like Irwindale - In-N-Out burgers!
Oh yeah, permanent restroom facilities like OCIR had and currently at Pomona.
The show would be Wednesday night test & tune and - as long as we're just dreaming here - a return to "64 car TF and FC shows for qualifying and 32-car (5 rounds) elimination fields. I would also have something like the Manufacturers Meet for a special event.

Ok, here is my unrealistic fantasy drag strip.

Location: 2 choices, 1st would be no farther than 10 miles from the ocean, or it would be here in Alabama where there is plenty of real estate to build and be away from the masses. Some spots along I-65 come to mind.

The track itself: it would be at least 4000 feet long giving at least 2680 feet after the end of the 1320. More for 1/8 and 1000.
The track would be NHRA legal wide, have of course concrete guardrails. It would have 6 to 8 degrees of up hill shutdown with 3 electric gate turnouts as well as a "left-hand turnout" at the end and of course a NHRA legal sand trap.

Along the shutdown area walls would be small lights lining both sides of the track, that would look cool.

More track: The return road would be on the left side of the track. Lighting of course would be the new style lighting by Musco that would extend all the way down the strip and have the turn out are very well illuminated. Scoreboards would be like the ones used at Vegas. The paved pits would be on the left side of the track.

The Tower: this tower would resemble the one that was at Dallas International and be in a location like at Orange County. The staging lanes would be curved, 18 lanes wide and be configured in a direction like Orange County with the lanes well numbered on the ground and above.

Seating capacity would be 20,000 to start, made of aluminum with backs of course. One major difference that I would have them built with more frontal leg room. There would be ample room with disabled seating with a reasonable incline for folks with that condition to get into that area that would be on the first row. On the right side of the track would have 2 grandstands, The left 4, 3 from about 150 feet progressing down the track, the 4th at the 1000 foot mark similar to O.C.I.R.

Above the pit side seats very similar to Forrest Lucas's Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, Missouri would have some suites for the corporate side "and" a full service bar that is air conditioned that you could view the track, open the sliding doors and have a couple of rows of stadium style seats for out door viewing.

Rest Rooms: they would be designed like Duck River Speedway in Wheel, Tennessee but in a much larger scale, there would be 2 on the spec side and 4 on the pit side with a 5th centrally located in the middle of the pits. All would be climate controlled and have constant attendant attention.

Concessions: this is where the margin of profit is the highest. On the right lane would have 1 major concession area and a few side vendors, a small covered beer type garden also. The pit side catering to more folks and the pits would have 1 long row of concessions. The concessions would have the normal fare of burgers and dogs cooked on a char-grill. French Fries would be as close as possible to New York's Lebanon Valley Speedway's dirt track fried in the good oil. Nacho's, fresh popcorn, chips, candy, and featuring all Coca Cola products, and not to forget, good coffee.

There would be separate concession for pizza, and ice cream. I would have an enclosed climate controlled bar with booze, beer and light munchies at a fair price. Outdoor covered seating for the bar as well. There would be beer in cans(glass is better tasting but they break) well booze and of course premium spirits, like Jack Daniels.

Souvenirs: on each side of the track would be track merchandise in a separate booth and an area for paying outside vendors. I could go on forever about the track itself but let us move on.

Days of Operation: Wednesdays would be Street Night #1 Only licensed muffled street cars and bikes in either personal grudge or Test N' Tune from 6:00pm until 10:00pm sharp. Gates would open at 5:00pm.
Fridays would be Test'N Tune or for multi-day special events. Gates would open at 4:00pm. Runs from 5:00pm. until 11:00pm.
Saturdays would be race day. Gates would open at noon, time trials or qualifying from 2:00pm. until 5:30 or 6:00pm depending on the program that day. 1st round at 6:00 or 7:00pm depending on event. Racing would end at a self imposed curfew of midnite.
Sunday: would be reserved for a large event final day or for paid testing only.

Weekly Classes: Wednesday, muffled licensed street cars and bikes.
Fridays: Test N' Tune or day-1 special events
Saturdays: special events or brackets and index classes
Sundays: special event final days or paid testing.

*Special Events*
*NHRA Divisional and National Opens*
*3-Race Pro Modified Series, 8-car qualified Open*
*Night of thrills: wheelstanders, Jet Cars, Motor cycle jump show.
*Night of Nitro #1, Nostalgia 2-Car Top Fuel Match Race, Nostalgia 2-car AA/FC Match Race, 2-car A/Fuel Dragster Match Race, 2-car Fuel Altered Match Race, Super Pro/Pro, Motorcycle brackets.
*A large Super Stock/Stocker Meet.
*2 No-Prep Street Outlaw Events, and a match race between Precious vs. Kye Kelly.
*1 Big Money Bracket Race.

The Season: It would run from early March thru mid-November.

More Later. Announcers, track safety etc.

TopFuel@Lions

The closest you can get to OCIR as a modern day track is Wild Horse. When it was first built, I was amazed at how close it was to OCIR. Same pit layout, road course, etc. The tower was different. Of course, OCIR never had a lake, but the drag strip itself is very close to the same. Well, shut off area is waaaay longer than OCIR - no freeway to go on when yer on fire. (heh) We had a nostalgia F/C race there some years ago, at night, and I was in the pit side stands around 800'. Watching the cars was like suddenly being back in time at OCIR. I've also had times when sitting in the pit side stands by the starting line, that it's deja vu - OCIR again. Had a flash back to Stone-Woods-Cook Mustang F/C in early 70's one day. Anyhoo, Wild Horse is what OCIR could have been, if times were different.

There is a fairly new track in Ferris, Texas, Xtreme Raceway Park. 1/8 mile only & it is first class. They have an food area w/ a large screen TV to watch the races. Thought that was interesting. The track has taken the place of the 1/8 mile tracks that closed in the Dallas-Ft Worth areas. Now have the Pro Mod VS AA/FA race. I wonder if anyone would think of building an 1/8 mile only facility? Less costly, lees land needed, etc. Maybe something like GALOT.

Oh, I dunno. If I lived in the South, 1/8 mile might be a good idea. Pro Mods, etc etc. Maybe not so much in Arizona, home of the 122 degree temp record (for Phoenix - I went thru it and survived....).

Was thinking, where do you find space where you wouldn't have any neighbors? .....
Gateway/World Wide Technology raceway Madison IL, ran eliminations at 2 in the morning one year. I know cause I watched the final run

Tower design and where.

I would like to see this tower built somewhere, Dallas International
1609124251014.png

Ok complete fantasy land.

I would enclose it with a retractable roof. Racing all year round in Michigan then. Paved everything. Perhaps underground area for racers spots where they can get to media center, park the 1300 extra vehicles every pit seems to have, racer bathroom/showers and more. No more pit bikes and golf carts zooming around with pedestrians. They can go to the underground level to get around. Damn near ripped an NHRA official out of a golf cart at NE when he kicked my kid out of the way as we were walking with a group. I'd like to avoid people having close calls in the future.

Nice large Grandstand with two levels of concessions. One at the top another at the bottom. I would still have room for people to stand at the fence line and have the first row of seating be high enough to see over them Stands would be would be movable so that I could bring the ends in and form a concert arena circle in the middle.
Large scoreboard in the middle of the track that people can actually read. It blows my mind how every arena and stadium I've been to has readable displays and yet every track still have 1950's signs that most of us struggle to see. Driver stats, bios, replays, ads, interviews would play.

1/4 mile track but that is scalable if we need to do 1/8. Super long shutoff. Would look at changing surface somewhere in shutdown area to high friction substance before getting to sand and nets. Turn off at both sides so that we can adjust as needed. Full weekly points. I'd get super involved in local high school and college programs to get kids to the track. Get them hooked to the sport and perhaps get them hooked in various career opportunities. I would also look at a young guns class, so kids 16-21 and learning would race against each other.

I'd want a Div 3 points meet and a national event. I would hire, partner, bribe, beg, the Norwalk Bader family to learn promotion and staging of such events. Beyond those two big events I'd want a Night of Fire Event, A nostalgia event, a Pro Mod Event. Again if we are in fantasy land, I'd like a stupid big money Nitro event and a Pro Mod event. 1 Million to the winner type of deal. Of course a regular local points series for the standard classes.

Location, Detroit. The Motor City needs a Motor City Nationals. Lots of land around town that can be gotten cheap. Of course my track is crazy stupid expensive to build, where is my Sugar Momma when I need one.

See post 1 Terry, the DIMS tower was very cool.

Back to the track: the surface would be concrete to 1400 feet then to that new mix of asphalt. The starting line would have refrigeration like Denver and would extend 400 feet. I would also put in a scoreboard next to the right lane behind the line a tick like Orange County had. I would also have a hanging tree instead of on the ground like Lions and O.C.I.R. used.

The Name Of The Track: If I built in here in Bama and alongside I-65, I would call it I-65 Dragway.
Another name I like I would call it Diamond Dragway.

If the latter was the name the food would be Diamond burgers, diamond dogs, diamond fries as so on.

TopFuel@Lions

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back