Eric Rickman passes (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
Eric Rickman (Hot Rod Magazine) passed on Sat Jan 24,2009.

People may send condolences to his son

Mr Michael Rickman
4100 Camino Real
Los Angeles,CA 90065

Perhaps you have a favorite Eric Rickman story or photo from an old Hot Rod Magazine, you'd like to share with him and how his father may have touched you in some way.

Eric Rickman - Hot Rod Magazine

SCTA Home Page

A fantastic eye and sense of composition, and from the Hot Rod articles, quite a sense of humor as well. His way of capturing the Salt makes you want to go hang out in the shadeless sun all day, lovin every minute of it...

He will be missed by many

Rest In Peace

Last edited:
When I went to work at Car Craft Magazine in 1973 Eric Rickman was already a legend, and a deserved one.

He single handedly led the photo department at Petersen Publishing as the company's leading shooter, providing superior images of everything from new car previews in Detroit to action on the Bonneville salt flats and California dry lakes. He also shot events like the Indy 500 and literally hundreds of drag races. There was little doubt that the quarter mile was his first love, as he was NHRA's original Safety Safari photographer back in the 50s.

Guys like Hall of Famers Leslie Lovett, Steve Reyes and "Diamond" Jim Kelly always looked up to Eric, and I certainly did too.

He may have sometimes been impatient with "newcomers" like ourselves, but if you had a serious photographic question, he'd take the time to answer it.

When Rick stepped up to the guardrail to shoot someone's slingshot dragster the rabble -- that was us -- respectfully got out of the way.

In many ways Eric Rickman paved the way for today's premier drag racing photographers, and there isn't anyone out there shooting today who wouldn't admit that at one time or another they were inspired by a Rickman photo, and that certainly includes me.

Jon Asher

I always felt that he had it on automatic, but the cameras were all manual in those early days. He was the master.

He was a legend for sure.

I'd met him a few times at Bakersfield in the last dozen years.
It wasn't very many years ago I'd met Wally and Barbara Parks, Eric, Dyno Don, Dick Landy and Ronnie Sox all the same room at the same time in the Doubletree Friday night reception.

:(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back