DSR Post-Race Recap: Charlotte 1 (1 Viewer)

DSR logo.jpg

Early Exit for Tony Schumacher in Charlotte
Circle K NHRA Four-Wide Nationals

Event 6 of 22
zMAX Dragway
Concord, N.C.
April 29 – May 1, 2022

CONCORD, N.C. (May 1, 2022) - The winningest Top Fuel driver in NHRA history qualified for the Charlotte NHRA Four-Wide Nationals in dramatic fashion, having to rely on his Q4 pass to secure a spot in the stacked Sunday field. As the No. 15 seed, Tony Schumacher drew Leah Pruett, Brittany Force, and Spencer Massey as his first-round opponents. He took the Maynard Family/Okuma dragster to the finish line beams in 3.753 seconds but it wasn’t enough to set off the win lights against Massey and Force, who clocked a 3.749 and 3.732, respectively. While the E1 loss was a disappointment, Schumacher feels that his team is moving in the right direction and it won’t be long before the race day win lights start rolling in.
“The key to this whole thing is, realizing that we’ve had a lot of tough Sundays,” explained Schumacher of his team’s race day record through the first six events. “When you look at the beginning of the season at Pomona (Calif.), we started with a (Doug) Kalitta match-up, and then had Antron Brown and Mike Salinas in our first quad at Las Vegas, and then, Brittany Force and Steve Torrence in the finals. I mean, give me a break. We’ve had so many tough match-ups this year. This is our fault. We just qualified in the wrong spot and we’re working on some things.
"We had to make a drastic change before the last qualifying run yesterday. We changed a clutch disc and that completely changes the package, and we slid it down the track to get qualified in a tough field at Charlotte. That was an excellent job under pressure, and we did an excellent job on race day. We were in the marquee match-up, and all four cars made 3.70 runs. We were a little slow early and I think we just missed it by one run this weekend. We were just playing slight catch-up, but we made a good change to carry us forward.
“The guys are working so hard. I’m a positive guy and you don’t need to win every race to win championships; you do that by working hard and digging deep, and our team is doing that. They’re digging hard and fast to get better. I’m proud of them for making the necessary changes. I wish I would have staged first in round one today. I hate staging last, and I had an .089 light, and that’s not going to win. We had the slowest car and slowest light by a tick, and that combination is excellent if you’d like to load up and get home early.”
Schumacher is ranked ninth heading into the Virginia NHRA Nationals, the seventh stop on the 22-race NHRA tour.

Tony 20.jpg

Qualified: No. 15 (3.831 E.T. at 319.98 MPH)
Elimination Round Results:
E1: 3.753 E.T. at 320.89 MPH defeated by Spencer Massey 3.749 E.T. at 323.27 MPH, Brittany Force 3.732 E.T. at 329.67 MPH
NHRA Camping World Series Top Fuel Point Standings (Unofficial):
1Brittany Force
2Mike Salinas
3Justin Ashley
4Steve Torrence
5Clay Millican
6Josh Hart
7Austin Prock
8Doug Kalitta
9Tony Schumacher
10Antron Brown

Constant Aviation Factory Stock Showdown Series:
DAVID DAVIES: Driver of the D H Davies Racing® /Save our Allies Dodge Challenger Mopar Drag Pak
Davies 3.jpg

Qualified:
No. 7 (7.843 E.T. at 179.33 MPH)
E1: 7.886 E.T. at 179.59 MPH defeated by Stephen Bell 7.861 E.T. at 175.91 MPH, Lenny Lottig 7.889 E.T. at 174.66 MPH

MARK PAWUK: Driver of the Empaco Equipment Dodge Challenger Mopar Drag Pak
Pawuk 6.jpg

Qualified:
No. 4 (7.817 E.T. at 179.37 MPH)
E1: 7.822 E.T. at 178.85 MPH defeated by Aaron Stanfield 7.827 E.T. at 175.41 MPH, David Barton 7.866 E.T. at 176.07 MPH

WARREN WALCHER: Driver of the Dodge Challenger Mopar Drag Pak
Walcher 4.jpg

Qualified:
No. 8 (7.855 E.T. at 177.63 MPH)
E1: 7.907 E.T. at 174.80 MPH defeated by Geoff Turk 7.792 E.T. at 180.21 MPH, Bill Skillman 7.784 E.T. at 179.16 MPH
Constant Aviation Factory Stock Showdown Series Point Standings (unofficial):
1Bill Skillman
2David Barton
3Lenny Lottig
4Anthony Troyer
5Stephen Bell
6Warren Walcher
7Mark Pawuk
8Aaron Stanfield
9Ricky Hord
10Scott Libersher
11David Janac
12David Davies III

About Don Schumacher Racing
Established in 1998, Don Schumacher Racing (DSR) has grown to become the winningest organization in NHRA Drag Racing history, and further cemented its position as one of motorsports’ elite teams when it surpassed the ‘350 wins’ milestone during the 2020 season. DSR owns 19 world championships in three different NHRA categories, and including hall-of-fame team owner Don Schumacher’s five NHRA Funny Car triumphs from the 1970s, DSR has been successful in capturing 366 national event victories overall.
Headquartered in Brownsburg, Indiana, DSR campaigns the Maynard Family/Scag Power Equipment Top Fuel dragster in the NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series with fan-favorite Tony Schumacher at the helm. As an eight-time world champion and 85-time NHRA national event winner, Schumacher is the most decorated Top Fuel driver of all time.
DSR also campaigns three entries in the Factory Stock Showdown Series. The trio of DSR Dodge Drag Paks is piloted by former Pro Stock racer Mark Pawuk, David Davies, who made his NHRA debut with DSR in 2021, and Warren Walcher, who is set to compete in his first full FSS season in 2022.
For more information, visit shoeracing.com, or Follow Us @shoeracing on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back