Doug Herbert interview in qualifying (1 Viewer)

Mooseman

Nitro Member
I have only been able to get ESPN this year so never saw any races from last season and before , was watching the qualifying on ESPN and where Doug Herbert was talking about staging duals and they showed a clip of him almost getting in a fight lol. What happened that race?

Re: Doug Herbert interview in qualafying?

Doug wasn't happy with how Clay conducted himself on the starting line. Rick Stewart shut both cars off because he knew the clutches were hot and the cars were probably low on fuel from idling too long. Things got heated, one thing led to another and Doug pushed a crew member from Clays team.

The interview with Doug after they eventually ran was pretty interesting to say the least. He made a comment or 2 about Clay thinking he's better than he actually is and I also seem to remember the IHRA wanting an apology for the remarks he made about them. I'll leave it at that.

Oh yeah, I almost for got.... this was the incident that earned him the nickname "Dougzilla"

Last edited:

lol man these qualifying interviews are great but I should be paying more attention I just missed something funny coil said about the boss 500 driveline or something .

If I remember correctly, Herbert owned a car that was running in IHRA (I think Jim Cunningham was the driver) and he felt that Millican (who was winning the championships over there) would "burn down" Jim when they would meet. Herbert had made the decision to wait for Millican to stage first, and Millican wouldn't go in, which created the now infamous "burn down".

Herbert mentioned something about Millican and "Hillbilly" racing (referring to IHRA) in his interview after the incident.

I was with Don Lampus at the warm up the following year in Las Vegas and Don joked with Millican saying that he probably didn't get a Christmas card from Herbert, and Clay started laughing and said, "I did get a Christmas card from Doug!".

Steve

Doug wasn't happy with how Clay conducted himself on the starting line. Things got heated, one thing led to another and Doug pushed a crew member from Clays team.

WRONG !!!!! Doug was hit from behind by the PUNK that ran Clay's team...:)

"Things got heated, one thing led to another and Doug pushed a crew member from Clays team."

That's not accurate. Peter Lehman started the pushing, not Doug.

And they were fighting the weather that day so no one was really all that pleased that these two decided now was the time to have a staging duel.

Both were at fault and it always makes me sick when ESPN holds it up as some badge of honor. It was embarrassing as either one of them could have used their heads and just gone in.

And they were fighting the weather that day so no one was really all that pleased that these two decided now was the time to have a staging duel.

I was at Reading that day and it was misting on and off during the first round. If my memory is correct they didn't get past round 1 before the steady rain began to fall and the race was completed on Monday. I returned on Monday and I felt like I was the only person in the place.

lol man these qualifying interviews are great but I should be paying more attention I just missed something funny coil said about the boss 500 driveline or something .

Did anyone catch what he said , it happened when they were interviewing john force and coil just walked up and said it . Judging by the reaction it was something good .

OK, OK.... So I missed a few details as pointed out by several people in this thread. However, my statement is still correct, Doug DID push a crew member on Clay's team. Did he not? It was a quick reply to William's question, not a lengthy report stating every last little fact. :rolleyes:

Since you guys seem to need EVERY detail, Doug also said in is interview....

"He thinks he is Don Garlits, he couldn't carry Don's lunch box" ;) :D

Well I think I will take herberts side on this one after reading what you said , even though it happened ages ago I find it funny for someone to get anoyed at someone else for taking ages , herbert didnt seem to mind waiting and if the other driver didn't want to wait all he had to do was roll forward.

Well I think I will take Herbert's side on this one after reading what you said , even though it happened ages ago I find it funny for someone to get anoyed at someone else for taking ages , herbert didnt seem to mind waiting and if the other driver didn't want to wait all he had to do was roll forward.

Exactly their is no law that says you have to wait for the other guy to stage.
ESPN fact guy needs to go back an look t the data on who wins after a staging duel.
Bet its 50/50.
It is a fact that some drivers base their game n the other guy staging first.
We just had Jeff Arend on chat and dumb old me and even the smart others didn't think of that one.
Jeff was really forthright with his answers and would have gave his view anyway.
Doug caught a lot of flack for his Hillbilly comment and I think it was deserved.

However, my statement is still correct, Doug DID push a crew member on Clay's team. Did he not?

YOU are trying to make it look like Doug instigated the physical part.....THAT IS FALSE !!! Doug was jumped from behind to start the physical confrontation !! PUT THE BLAME IN THE RIGHT SPOT !!!!;)

Doug did not stage first that day because Clay had previously burned him down. He said after that dual that he not going to stage first with Clay, no matter what happened.

Peter Lehman was the owner of Clay's car at that time, not a crew member. He ran up from behind Doug and hit him, that's when Doug took off after him, that's also where the nickname "Dougzilla" came about!

YOU are trying to make it look like Doug instigated the physical part.....THAT IS FALSE !!! Doug was jumped from behind to start the physical confrontation !! PUT THE BLAME IN THE RIGHT SPOT !!!!;)

John, please show me in either of my posts where I say "Doug started it" or "Doug instigated it". I KNOW HE DIDN'T START IT, NOR DID I EVER CLAIM HE DID!!!! GOT IT????

Since reading comprehension must not be your strong point, please read this next part very slowly.....

My first reply was a quick response to William's question. The ESPN broadcast he was watching in New Zealand showed a short clip of Doug pushing a crew member from Clay's team and he asked what happened. I did not feel like typing a full page report so I summarized what happened into a short reply. I NEVER SAID, OR MEANT TO IMPLY DOUG STARTED IT. They showed Doug pushing a guy on TV, William asked about it, and I typed a quick reply! As you know, the deal between Doug and Clay happened several years ago, when I typed my reply to William, I was obviously going from memory and didn't think to mention Doug getting pushed first. If that offends you, I'm sorry!

You're the one with your panties in a bunch over nothing..... Get over it!

For the record, I'm more of a Doug H. fan than a Clay M. fan in case you're wondering.

I was with Don Lampus at the warm up the following year in Las Vegas and Don joked with Millican saying that he probably didn't get a Christmas card from Herbert, and Clay started laughing and said, "I did get a Christmas card from Doug!".

Steve

I don't want to highjack the Thread - Steve Steeps= you can answer me in another manner if you like. Question: what is Lampus doing now?

What I thought was ironic was Dougs comments about Clay winning a few "hillbilly races", isn't that where Herbert kinda made a name for himself.

What I thought was ironic was Dougs comments about Clay winning a few "hillbilly races", isn't that where Herbert kinda made a name for himself.
I thought the comment was funny at the time. Actually Doug had already established his name on the NHRA side before the "HillBilly Races". He was the first to run 4.80's in '92, then second man to run 300mph. His "Hillbilly Championships" came shortly afterwards.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back