Don schumacher signs matt hagan to drive nhra funny car in 2009 (1 Viewer)

BROWNSBURG, Ind. (Nov. 6, 2008) - Don Schumacher announced today that IHRA and Pro Mod racer Matt Hagan will drive a Dodge Charger Funny Car sponsored by BrakeSafe Rear-End Collision Avoidance System in the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series for Don Schumacher Racing.

BrakeSafe Rear-End Collision Avoidance System will be a primary sponsor, with a co-primary sponsor to be named later. The associate sponsors include NAPA AUTO PARTS, Mail Terminal Services, Matco Tools, Valvoline, U. S. Army and FRAM. Tommy DeLago will move over from DSR's Valvoline/Mail Terminal Services Funny Car team to take on the crew chief duties.

Hagan, 26, drove a Funny Car in four NHRA POWERade events in 2008 and competed in the AMS NHRA Pro Mod Challenge in 2006 and 2007, becoming the 2006 AMS Pro Modified Rookie of the Year. He scored a class-best three IHRA national-event wins in 2008, ending the season third in the point standings. He will vie for Rookie-of-the-Year honors in the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Series.

"We are thrilled to add Matt Hagan to our team for the 2009 Full Throttle Series," said Schumacher. "He brings with him a youthful approach and, despite his youth, he has demonstrated an untapped talent driving a Funny Car in IHRA, as well as competing in the Pro Mod class. We believe and expect he will be a solid force in this highly competitive category and will represent himself, Don Schumacher Racing, and his sponsors extremely well. We look forward to a successful season in 2009 as we support Hagan in his bid for Rookie of the Year honors.

"We are also proud to introduce BrakeSafe Rear-End Collision Avoidance System to our DSR family," added Schumacher. "This is a unique and important consumer safety product which we are pleased to help promote to the NHRA fan base."

Hagan was born in Salem, Va., and lives with wife Rachel and two-year-old son Colby Matthew in Christiansburg, Va., where he manages the family 500-acre Angus Cattle farm.

"I'm really excited," said Hagan. "Being involved with a team such as DSR, which has so much knowledge, experience and great equipment, is going to be very rewarding. It's one of these opportunities that don't come around but once in a lifetime.

"I think that, as a rookie driver next year and sharing information with teams of the caliber that DSR has, will help me improve my driving. Being able to use that equipment and having all the resources that DSR brings to the table will be great for my career.

"And I'm very excited to have BrakeSafe support this team in the NHRA Funny Car category. It's a terrific product and I'm looking forward to helping promote it."

Rich Battaglini, BrakeSafe National Sales Manager, said, "This is an incredible scenario full of opportunity. Matt has to be one of the greatest people I've ever met, and has proven that he has what it takes to be successful in drag racing. Combined with all the support and excellence from DSR, we've got ourselves a definite winning team. I am very excited about this relationship introducing NHRA fans to our product - something that can make a difference in their lives."

BrakeSafe Rear-End Collision Avoidance System is a personal occupant and vehicle safety product manufactured in the United States.

BrakeSafe's ECU (Electronic Circuitry Unit/Microprocessor) technology causes the top-mounted third brake light on your car to illuminate as normal when the brake pedal is depressed, pulse rapidly four times within a few seconds, and then remain on (solid). The rapid pulsing creates an attention-getting alert for the drivers behind you, notifying them that you're slowing down or stopping, thus creating a very effective rear-end collision deterrent.

This patented "pulsing technology" allows the BrakeSafe System to be compatible with sophisticated factory vehicle electronic systems. In addition, the BrakeSafe ECU is compact in design, allowing the ECU to be installed and hidden behind the existing third brake light on any motorized vehicle.

The 24-event 2009 Full Throttle season opens in Pomona, Calif., Feb. 5-8, 2009.

Don Schumacher Racing is celebrating its 10-year anniversary in 2008, boasting 122 national-event wins so far among all its teams since 1998.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back