Do I have a problem? (1 Viewer)

Mooseman

Nitro Member
Hey everybody this is going to sound really strange , I am a reguler coke drinker like I drink it everyday like a normal person should drink water , its my main liquid consumption . When I stop drinking I want more . I am thirsty alot , I get tired easy . I know this probably sounds stupid , but what are your thoughts?

Hey everybody this is going to sound really strange , I am a reguler coke drinker like I drink it everyday like a normal person should drink water , its my main liquid consumption . When I stop drinking I want more . I am thirsty alot , I get tired easy . I know this probably sounds stupid , but what are your thoughts?
Diabetes!!!! Seriously go get your blood sugar checked. do you get a shaky feeling or light headed?? It's nothing to mess with alot of people die every year from complications from it.

William,
It's not just you. I had the same problem with Pepsi a couple decades ago when I was a bricklayer. I'd drink 125-200 oz. per day of the stuff and find myself almost never getting a drink of water. It's that dang caffeine. Then when you cut it cold turkey as I did, you get a nasty caffeine headache for a couple days but it's worth it. Now my rule of thumb is, if I find myself wanting one soft drink more than water or another I switch to another anyway. I now drink way more water and feel way more healthy as a result.

The thing that bothers me the very most is that these soft drinks taste exactly the same without the addictive stimulant caffeine. It is flavorless, which prompts the question, "Why are they putting it in the ingredients if not for it's addictive result?"

sugar or caffeine crash. I hear some are getting similar symptoms even from energy drinks like monster red bull and the like.

I buy three or four cases of Poland spring water at a time from Sam's club nowadays. In the past i would drink iced tea of Gatorade on the job site. which would only make me thirsty again 20 Min's later. I also used to drink several 20 oz cups of coffee a day but now i can barely finish one. i have a 20 ounce thermal mug i take on the commute with me. Sometimes I forget to finish it and slug the rest down on the way home.

Last edited:
Not only does the high sugar put you at increased risk of diabetes but it also puts your kidneys at risk because you are dehydrating yourself.

I've got kidney problems myself and if I drink more than a soda a week, they start to HURT. I have to get my kidneys checked pretty regularly and I met a woman used to drink pepsi like that and now her kidney function is horrible. She said the acidity in it ate away at the nephron tissues in the kidneys that cannot regenerate.

A hydration rule of thumb is that if your urine is clear, you are hydrated, if it's yellow or dark, you are dehydrated.

So stick with water, and lots of it. You might even lose weight switching to drinking more water.

I fell into the caffeine addiction trap a long time ago in the trucking business and now I have to have my coffee just to be "normal" like someone not addicted gets to be naturally.

I DID get off the soda addiction several years ago because I know that if you give your body too much sugar for too long you can MAKE yourself become diabetic. Why should your body produce sugar if you don't make it need to? I don't know what you have available down there, but the Walmarts and Sam's Clubs up here are where we buy our water by the case. Won't leave the house without at least a case in the truck, plus we have it there, in the trailer at the races, and anywhere else we go. I'm as addicted to water as you are your soda.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've been somewhere with friends, whether it's at bracket races with my own dragster, or at Bowling Green last year for the Hot Rod Reunion where it was VERY hot, and people who brought sodas would be diving into my water, which I always make sure to bring too much of (luckily).

I was just as addicted to soda as you are when I was your age. Used to down bottles of it, no problem. I think the sodium/salt content is one thing that enables you to drink so much. I also know that caffeine dehydrates your body. The more coffee I drink, the more water I'll later crave. When you're hot, you can drink a lot of soda and it feels like you're hydrating yourself at the time when you're actually doing nothing.

The lack of energy you're feeling later is your sugar crash. For every high, there's an equal low. Sugar gives you a buzz when you first consume it, but from what I've heard, it takes a lot of your body's energy to process it later.

LOL, you gotta admire the Millers. I think their house is the only one I've ever been in in America that didn't have a coffee maker. If I'm not "misremembering" (LOL), you guys said it's part of your religious beliefs not to be addicted to such things, didn't you? Regardless of why, it's smart. My addiction provided some comedy material while staying a couple days with them. I'll laugh at myself as quickly as I will anyone else, and it was funny when they learned to often ask "Do you need us to run you to the store for some coffee? Are you okay?" LOL. One morning they forgot (and I was trying to be too polite to ask) and ended up with a nasty little headache by noon.

After I hauled flood relief water to Des Moines in 92 or 93, the company I was contracted to (Prime Inc) was nice enough to treat a lot of us to a show at Tony Orlando's in Branson. That man was bouncing all OVER that stage with energy. He said when he kicked cocaine many years before that he quit EVERYTHING addictive, including caffeine. It's obvious that many of our shortcuts come with heavy prices.

Last edited:
LOL, you gotta admire the Millers. I think their house is the only one I've ever been in in America that didn't have a coffee maker. If I'm not "misremembering" (LOL), you guys said it's part of your religious beliefs not to be addicted to such things, didn't you? Regardless of why, it's smart. My addiction provided some comedy material while staying a couple days with them. I'll laugh at myself as quickly as I will anyone else, and it was funny when they learned to often ask "Do you need us to run you to the store for some coffee? Are you okay?" LOL. One morning they forgot (and I was trying to be too polite to ask) and ended up with a nasty little headache by noon.

Here we were thinking we were being hospitable and we were torturing poor Ron? We can be trained, however.
The thing in a nutshell is this:
Everything in moderation and nothing that becomes obsessive.

I blood a blood test to check everything not to long long ago and everything was good . lol its quite amazing how addictive caffiene is and what it can do , its like they give warnings about taking all those other drugs like alcohol , smoking , cannabis , cocaine and heroine and all those but they don't warn you about caffeine. And whats kind of funny is that coca-cola and cocaine both come from the coca plant .

I always heard that Coca-Cola got it's name by having cocaine in it in the beginning. No wonder people liked it and got addicted to it!

I have long worried about my blood sugar and procrastinated about getting it checked. A relative passed away recently and one thing that got divided up/passed around was his diabetes testing equipment. Did the test and, lucky me, came up very normal. Same thing years ago with cholesterol. I do eat cereal about every other morning and my (slightly snobby, LOL) cousin was doing free checks at a local K-Mart with some group. She thought mine would be off the charts (stereotyping me for my occupation) and it was 120s.

I always heard that Coca-Cola got it's name by having cocaine in it in the beginning. No wonder people liked it and got addicted to it!

I have long worried about my blood sugar and procrastinated about getting it checked. A relative passed away recently and one thing that got divided up/passed around was his diabetes testing equipment. Did the test and, lucky me, came up very normal. Same thing years ago with cholesterol. I do eat cereal about every other morning and my (slightly snobby, LOL) cousin was doing free checks at a local K-Mart with some group. She thought mine would be off the charts (stereotyping me for my occupation) and it was 120s.

I have three packets of quaker instant oatmeal every single morning. my last colestrol screening it was 126. My BP though last time was borderline high. 138/90.. but i dont remember if someone pi***d me off beforehand :D

..........I too used to drink a lot of Coca-Cola, but from the soda fountains, now I buy 'Talking Rain' carbonated water by the case, I like the feeling of the carbonation and plus water is much better for me.

Hey Ron, I used to drive for 'Prime Inc' back in 1994. I was just a newbie and Chris Shy was my trainer.

Believe it or not, today Sunday marks my 60th day of NO soda.
Used to have one a day for most of my adult life.
Quit cold turkey on a whim, but the thought of getting diabetes(runs rampant on Dad's side of family) weighed heavily in the following days.
Yes, the first 3 days were bad. Dull headache and missing the "filling" feeling.

4th day I turned the corner and have been great since.

I have been drinking glaceau vitamin water like crazy, and also diet arizona green tea.

I have been sleeping deeper, have steady energy levels and good mood throughout the day.

I have learned to carry the vitamin water or green tea with me for when I go somewhere and there isn't any available.

I keep a slow, steady intake of water even tho I don't feel thirsty.

Sheer will power. You CAN do it. Good luck man.

Last edited:
I've been accused of being a Diet Coke addict more than once! But I Always try to drink at least 100 oz. of Water per day, Carbonated drinks de-hydrate the Body something fierce!

Hey Ron, I used to drive for 'Prime Inc' back in 1994. I was just a newbie and Chris Shy was my trainer.

We were there when they had those awful non-air ride sleeper T-600 flat tops. I think you got the Century condos. I entered into their lease-operator program in 1991 with my then wife. Wasn't a bad deal for us in the beginning. Seventeen months later was a different story. I don't care how much you think you know each other, you don't know each other until you've been in the same truck 24 hours a day for weeks at a time, LOL. Was a good way to test the waters as a contractor without the commitment and down payment.

What impressed me was after I explained my situation to them, that she was leaving and I wasn't doing it without her. Instead of coming after me for the remainder of the 36 month lease, they tore the contract up in front of me, shook my hand, and told me to call them if I wanted to do it again.

Driving team in itself is a whole nuther topic. Words can't describe the terror of lying in your bed asleep in the dark, hearing tires sliding, then feeling the bed rotate as the truck gets sideways in a near miss and all you can do is clutch the mattress, LOL.

Here's a sad thing. Vera Lowe (owner of the company, had it's first $4 million week at the time, probably a small amount now) was so generous that she took the prime rib dinner that she had catered in for those of us who hauled water and opened it up to anyone who wanted to join in the company cafeteria, and hundreds ate up. She also invited anyone else at the terminal at the time to go to Tony Orlando's show on her (ready to buy more tickets in addition to those Tony had comped), and had buses lined up out front. After hundreds ate her food, only about twenty people went to the show with her, and my wife and I were the only ones there who had actually hauled any of the relief water that the whole thing was about! The lady was p*ssed. Treated us like we were her grandkids, though. She could walk through Walmart and you'd never look at her twice. Wonderful lady.

Last edited:
I recently tryed auqafina wellness water, man that stuff is good + its got vitamins in it. I was drinking they're flavor splash but it leaves such a nasty taste in your mouth, the wellness water is much better. I still have a coke or 2 a day but not nearly as many as I used to.

lol I hope me saying the bad things about drinking this stuff effect me oneday when I get into racing lol I would love a coke sponsership

Just over a year ago I was told I had to remove all caffiene from my diet by a friend who is a consultant gastroenterologist. I've had quite a nasty digestive problem for a few years now and it was really starting to have a big effect on the way I lived my life. I couldn't eat out unless it was within 10 mins of home etc etc and I'd probably have 3 bad weeks in every 5 and maybe 5 or 6 days in that time where I was pretty useless to anyone. My own Doc had done very little to help me with the problems except to say "you'll always have it, just try modifying your diet and see if anything helps"

Anyway our friend gave me a quick free consultation while we were stopping with him and his wife in London. The first thing he asked was about my caffiene intake. Well we all think of caffiene as a stimulant, but usually of course we just associate that with the brain, but as he explained, I was pouring the stimulant straight into an already irritated and inflamed bowel, to which was stimulating the area further and making the problem 5 times worse than it already was. I only drank probably around 2x2litre bottles of Coke each week and maybe 1 cup of coffee, which by US standards is very little.
But he told me I'd given it up completely there and then!

Well, for the next six weeks, I got the shakes, I was sick, I was dizzy, I couldn't get up in the morning, I generally felt like death and I missed my Jack and Coke terribly! But after eventually going through the cold turkey the difference in my health is incredible. I now maybe have one bad week every two months or so and am able to eat out and be sociable again. The problem is still there in my gut and it always will be but the difference is amazing.

I could easily sound like some healthy eating freak here, but thats not the case at all, I'm overweight and love anything thats bad for me! But what I am saying is DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE EFFECTS OF CAFFIENE!!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back