Diecasts collectors (1 Viewer)

Dave

Nitro Member
I'm considering starting a collection of diecasts for my office. The more I see them the more I like them. Does anyone here collect them? If so, is there one particular company that puts out a more detailed or quality diecast than the others?

I'm not a collector per say, I have about 6 Pieces. But it seems that the whole Diecast market's dying out!

Hey Dave, I have a bunch. I had them in this huge glass case, and it got knocked over. I was so pissed, I put them all in boxes, and haven't looked at them since. Most of them survived pretty well. Some broke some small pieces. If you want a list of what I have, let me know. I'd let them go for next to nothing.

I think Diecast is a phase for some. It was for me. I bought everything I could in the mid 90's. Now I've go an Action #42 Joe Nemechek BellSouth Chevy, and I say, why the hell did I buy that. My advice is this, buy only the stuff from your favorite drivers. This stuff is expensive man. And, you can get the best deals off of EBAY!

I think Diecast is a phase for some. It was for me. I bought everything I could in the mid 90's. Now I've go an Action #42 Joe Nemechek BellSouth Chevy, and I say, why the hell did I buy that. My advice is this, buy only the stuff from your favorite drivers. This stuff is expensive man. And, you can get the best deals off of EBAY!

In moderation and I am particular. Not looking to buy just to buy. I've never paid any attention to any of them but I really like the front engine fuelers I've seen. I would like to get my hands on the Whipple/McCulloch flopper and the Brut Dodge. I've heard that the market is dying out but I'm guessing that just means an even better time to buy. Just want a few for the office and maybe one or two for the house.

I went thru a diecast phase for about 3 years. I bought and bought and bought. I have since sold about 1/2 of them but I enjoy them. I wish I would have just bought all Force cars and had them all instead of buying everyone's Nascar included. My fav's though are a 1/16 Fiberglass Car I have of Force signed and his 1996 Driver of the Year car 1/24 signed and both of Blaine Johnson's Top Fuelers 1/24.

But to your question, Action makes the best I think. Racing Champions suck in my opinion. There cheap. Revell I dont think makes them anymore or cut down or something. Maybe they were bought out, I dont know.

Thanks Justin. You mentioned the 1/16 scale cars. How are they? I was looking at a few in that scale and they seem very detailed.

I try to buy only my favorites or things that aren't very common. Don't see much Tony Stewart around here, so whenever I find one of his cars or any John Force, I usually try to pick it up.

F1 & CART (Champ Car) stuff I'll look for online sometimes. More than diecast sometimes, I look for prints, photos, etc.

I try to buy only my favorites or things that aren't very common. Don't see much Tony Stewart around here, so whenever I find one of his cars or any John Force/JFR, I usually try to pick it up.

F1 & CART (Champ Car) stuff I'll look for online sometimes. More than diecast, sometimes, I look for prints, photos, etc.

Thanks Justin. You mentioned the 1/16 scale cars. How are they? I was looking at a few in that scale and they seem very detailed.

Dave, in my opinion, there isint a finer more detailed car on the market. There a little expensive, but I really like them. Matter of fact, there the only thing I buy now to be honest.

I have pretty close to 1000 cars in my collection. NHRA and NASCAR. Action And Team Caliber probably are the best detailed. My favorite one in the collection is the Winged Express and its number 10 of the limited edition.

If you guys are interested, I have 6 of the black #8 Dale Jr cars left.:D :rolleyes: :p

The 1/16th cars by Milestone are awesome and you can find them relatively cheap on eBay. In addition, DSR's trailer at the races has their older 1/16th's usually around $59 each.

I picked up Johnny Gray's Wonder Wagon Stratus at Columbus and Tony Schumacher's 2003 Camo scheme at Joliet for $59 each. Now if I can only find Whit's Speed Racer car in that range.

I also got all three of the Gilbertson Jungle Jim tribute cars (Red, Gold and Blue) unopened, from some place in California for $200.00 for all three including shipping.

The other great NHRA diecasts are from www.1320.com which a TON of Nostaligia cars. Those you can usually find cheaper on eBay than retail too.

its a cool hobby. i have aover 50 now al 1/24 scale mostly funny cars, 9 out of 10 are team force. and of coarse the greg anderson cars. the funny cars areso neat looking esp when the bodys are up.

I have pretty close to 1000 cars in my collection. NHRA and NASCAR. Action And Team Caliber probably are the best detailed. My favorite one in the collection is the Winged Express and its number 10 of the limited edition.

If you guys are interested, I have 6 of the black #8 Dale Jr cars left.:D :rolleyes: :p

I agree with Mike on the Action & Team Caliber. Watch E bay for the best prices & do not pay attention to the magazine price guides(ex:Becketts, et al)
I have never been able to sell them for what they say. I used to sell NASCAR stuff as a sideline business & the prices used to be marked up an average of 100% (just a price shopping guide line)

I have a big Action & Revell inventory, mainly from the late 90's. At the time I had a buddy who worked at Action - got all kinds of stuff well below cost.
So, I bought & bought everything I could. About 6 years ago the diecast values went to crap. There is no way I can get my money back. Now, they sit in the basement in boxes.
So I agree - it's a nice "hobby". But may I suggest....only buy the cars YOU want. The detail on the latest ones are just amazing - they're very cool. If you're buying them for investment purposes... don't do it!
Even my Earnhart Sr. stuff....... is going on Ebay for less than I paid for them. There will always be a few rare, high-dollar items that people will pay out the butt for. But in general, I think even the prices & values od like the Action "Elites" have been belittled and hacked downto "kids toys" prices.

Chris, have to agree that the prices have dropped except when you're buying(LOL) I guess I'll just keep buying and adding to the collection. Just got all 3 of the black DEI cars and the #24 Superman car today.

I have quite a few some expensive some the cheap ass ones from wal-mart or whatever, but right now I am saving up all my pennies for these I saw the detail of them last weekend in Marble Falls and coulnd believe it, capsule and cowling, battery cover part etc. are detachable, rudder turns with the steering wheel, props rotate, etc. etc. :

http://diecast-badass.com/Drag_Boats/Production_Samples/production_samples.html

This link shows one of the other boats of the set of 6 as well as some pre-production shots to show the development, http://www.dragboatmodels.com/ note the first boats shown in the slide show are the plastic mock-ups before they made the real deal.

Last edited:
One of my fav that I have only seen a few but I didnt buy one, wish I had, was a Richard Childress Racing replica Nascar Engine for Dale Earnhardt. It was bad azz!

Hi, my name is Mike, and I am a die-castoholic. :eek:

Well, I used to be an addict, but now I too only collect the cars I really want. I have over 80 cars in my collection, and am considering putting alot of them back in their boxes and only displaying the milestone 1/16 scale and all of my Don Prudhomme collection. Periodically, I still buy die-casts, but nowhere near as much as I used to. As for quality, everyone has pretty much summed it up: Action and Milestone have the highest quality, but even Racing Champions (RC2) isn't all that bad. Just be aware of what you're buying, I've seen people selling on E-Bay try to disguise 1/64th scale as 1/24 scale, but only saying what size it is in the small print.

Peace,
Mike Cornelius
a.k.a. NHRAMike

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back