Cristen Powell? (1 Viewer)

Horsepower & Heels

Nitro Member
I didn't get involved in Drag Racing until late 1998, so I don't know much regarding earlier history.

With all the recent events concerning women in drag racing, I decided to do a little homework. I stumbled across Cristen Powell, and was reading about her 97 T/F win in a reebok sponsored dragster. Then, I gathered she moved on to a funny car stint in 2000, but I can't find any more current information. What happened & where is she now?

She was sponsored by Reebok after she won the 1997 Mopar Nationals in E-Town. She was sponsored by Royal Purple when she won at E-Town.

I didn't get involved in Drag Racing until late 1998, so I don't know much regarding earlier history.

With all the recent events concerning women in drag racing, I decided to do a little homework. I stumbled across Cristen Powell, and was reading about her 97 T/F win in a reebok sponsored dragster. Then, I gathered she moved on to a funny car stint in 2000, but I can't find any more current information. What happened & where is she now?

Last I heard, she was out of drag racing, and didn't miss it too much, she is happy doing what she is doing (working for a charity maybe? I can't remember for sure) She donated her 67(68?) Camaro to a charity auction for a cause she was partial to. Apparently she is smarter than the rest of us and had the sense to get out of drag racing!

OFF TOPIC WARNING!
I checked out your site, Erica, very cool car, and nice job! You have gone faster than 95% (at least) of the people on this board! I looked long and hard for a T-Bird, and could never find a nice one, so I ended up with a Fairmont....anyhow, good luck and be safe.
Tim

I saw her walking through the pits last year in Vegas... might have been the year before I guess.....but I was just walking through, and I was like.. wow.. thats Cristen Powell.....what happened to her????

P.S. She also drove for JCIT, Helen Hofmann, and the Nitro Fish car......

where are they now?:D not sure but they were living here in portland / lake oswego in oregon for awhile but thats been awhile! i heard a couple years ago she had settled down and had kids?

Its hard to believe that its possible to go from that level of racing... to nothing. I think I'd go through serious withdrawl.

OFF TOPIC WARNING!
I checked out your site, Erica, very cool car, and nice job! You have gone faster than 95% (at least) of the people on this board! I looked long and hard for a T-Bird, and could never find a nice one, so I ended up with a Fairmont....anyhow, good luck and be safe.
Tim

Thanks Tim! I'm trying to work my way up... hopefully, I'll make it to NHRA one day!

Here is a picture I took of Cristen at Columbus 2000. I did not find out until later that she was leaving the pit area after being let go by Helen Hofmann.

columbus_cristen_A.jpg

Here is a picture I took of Cristen at Columbus 2000. I did not find out until later that she was leaving the pit area after being let go by Helen Hofmann.

columbus_cristen_A.jpg

I imagine that was one of the worst days for her. It is a shame to see so many driver's come and go through out the years.

nhra.com had the story on 1-21-03: nhra.com

Scroll down to 1-21 and you will find the info.

I did a lot of work with Cristen when she was racing and she was not at all the spoiled rich kid that some have alluded to here.

I really liked Christen. Probably my favorite driver in that funny-car era. And queen of the long burnouts for quite some time. I had a few opportunities to speak with her. And a few more to chat with her father. Quite a talented young woman behind the wheel. I remember one time in the top fuel (or possibly a-fuel) car where the crew forgot to put on the throttle stop for the burnout. She caught it quick that the pedal went too far down, and backed out and feathered it to a successful burnout. Not real easy to catch that as a new driver. Most new drivers would have caught it after the engine expired.
She is very shy, and did not seem to like all of the media and fan attention. That part always seemed the downside of racing to her.
In answer to what she was doing before her career is simple. She was in jr dragsters until the age at which she could go a-fuel racing. Then top fuel and funny car. She held a current jr dragster license and an a-fuel license at the same time.
She was also into dressage. (You know. The eastern style horse competitions.) And was a national champion at that too.
According to her last correspondance, she was enjoying her time helping out her charity of choice. And really had no desire to get back into things. I commend her on that.

I went to the newslink, but the actual article they link to didn't come up. Admireable profession she's currently in, it just seems like such an abrupt ending to her storied drag racing career, especially so young.

Nice website Erica!!! Ever race at Silver Dollar Raceway in Reynolds, GA?

I do occassionally. Was there in an exhibition test session during the NMRA event in April, and will be there with the Automatic Pro Mod Association coming up in August. (www.automaticpromods.com)

Registered member said:
I do not know her, but briefly met her at BIR a few years ago. I have known her
sister's husband for quite a few years and ended up walking around the 'zoo'
one night with all of them. No one knew who she was and if I can recall she
did enjoy the anonymity.

Erica,

You're right, the newslink apparently is outdated and doesn't work, but the basic info is in the nhra.com notebook.

It would be nice if she was still racing, but from what I have heard and read, she is doing what she wants to do and you have to admire her for that.

I spoke to Christen briefly at the Gators the year she was driving Helen's funny car. My 2¢ is that she took a lot of uncalled-for abuse on the message boards while she was driving. I always liked her -- seemed like a sincere young lady with the right values. Reminded me of my daughter. And, yes, she could do a great burnout in the flopper.

a litttle trivia question

when cristen was driving the nitro fish f/c , who was the car owner and crew chief?...

If I remember right, Whit Bazemore owned the car and trailer..... and Wayne Dupuy was crew chief.....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back