Connolly (1 Viewer)

Sid

Nitro Member
I guess I've been living under a rock over winter because I knew Dave Connolly lost his drive, but I had figured it was about money. I saw today that Rodger Brogdon is now flying the 'Charter' colors on his car. I always felt DC was one of the hottest PS drivers out there and wondered what I missed that he would lose his ride.

Ditto, Paul. I was surprised to see Brogdon flying the Charter colors also. I understood that Charter's demise as a sponsor for Connolly was a financial decision based on Charter's dismal fiscal status.....things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....:confused: Tim, are ya out there? Can you shed any light on this?

I would bet it's a scenario where the new sponsorship cost less money for Charter to fulfil. Of course I don't know, and would like to know myself.

I sure hope there is a fair answer for this, Dave C. is a championship caliper driver and should never be setting on the side lines.:confused:

I know nothing of the details of this situation (and am fairly sure a couple ready, willing and able Maters will jump in and remind us all of this) but I'd be willing to bet the Charter deal is for a far smaller amount than DC used to have when it supported a car, team and driver for complete seasons on it's own. Roger Brogdon is no financial slouch and brings his own $ to the table to the point that $ome help from Charter could fill in the blank$ rather than finance the entire ride of DC as before.

This one doesn't qualify as sponsor theft. On the contrary, it qualifies as a creative way to keep a sponsor in the sport.

I would bet it's a scenario where the new sponsorship cost less money for Charter to fulfil. Of course I don't know, and would like to know myself.

I know nothing of the details of this situation (and am fairly sure a couple ready, willing and able Maters will jump in and remind us all of this) but I'd be willing to bet the Charter deal is for a far smaller amount than DC used to have when it supported a car, team and driver for complete seasons on it's own. Roger Brogdon is no financial slouch and brings his own $ to the table to the point that $ome help from Charter could fill in the blank$ rather than finance the entire ride of DC as before.

This one doesn't qualify as sponsor theft. On the contrary, it qualifies as a creative way to keep a sponsor in the sport.

I'm obviously not "in-the-know" either, but I would bet you guys hit the nail on the head.

Sean D

Brogdon is leasing engine from Cagnazzi so there is a connection between the two teams. Brogdon had several Charter decals on the car in Vegas as well.

Brogdon has been leasing engines from VC. Tommy Utt has been working with Brogdon. They have struggled with the car. VC has a car that is fast and Utt is comfortable with. Rodger is borrowing (or leasing) the car that DC drove last year. If the money came through, I believe that Connolly would be back in the car next week, and Rodger would go back to his car. But as long as that car was just sitting in the shop, if you were Rodger and had the option, what car would you drive?

Alan

Brogdon has been leasing engines from VC. Tommy Utt has been working with Brogdon. They have struggled with the car. VC has a car that is fast and Utt is comfortable with. Rodger is borrowing (or leasing) the car that DC drove last year. If the money came through, I believe that Connolly would be back in the car next week, and Rodger would go back to his car. But as long as that car was just sitting in the shop, if you were Rodger and had the option, what car would you drive?

Alan

0916-02634.JPG

That doesn't look like Dave's car from last year. Dave drove a Cobalt, this car is a GXP.

I guess I was wrong. Rodger told me that the car was tight, and that it was built for a 5'8" guy, not a 6'3" guy. I assumed he meant Connolly.

I bet Unk will stop by and fill us in,

Alan

fridayps22009110600x399.jpg

Phoenix 09

I'm guessing that Brogdon's GXP is the same one that Greg Stanfield drove last year. The team probably just wrapped it for Charter.

The car that Rodger is driving is the same Bickel Pontiac GXP he's been in. It was wrapped last week in NC @ Cagnazzi's while undergoing some modifications and testing.
Steve Kent (team owner) and Brogdon have signed up with VC to run the Charter car for the rest of the season. The official release from Charter will be coming soon.
For all the Dave Connolly fans, the new Charter car & driver isn't anything against Dave, it's a business decision made by some very smart business men.

Honestly, I think Pro Stock just got more interesting.
Rodger is a proven driver, Cagnazzi has proven they can make power, and Tommy Utt and crew have proven over the last 4 races that they could make this car competitive.
St. Louis might be v-e-r-y interesting,,,

Unk

Seeing Charters deal is not completely dead with Cagnazzi, he would be using them as a major associate with Connoly if an dwhen they find something. It was probably a "good will gesture" on Cagnazzi's part to get their name back out there for a drastic reduction in price vs. exposure/return. Why not,after all he does cash their checks.

The car that Rodger is driving is the same Bickel Pontiac GXP he's been in. It was wrapped last week in NC @ Cagnazzi's while undergoing some modifications and testing.
Steve Kent (team owner) and Brogdon have signed up with VC to run the Charter car for the rest of the season. The official release from Charter will be coming soon.
For all the Dave Connolly fans, the new Charter car & driver isn't anything against Dave, it's a business decision made by some very smart business men.

Honestly, I think Pro Stock just got more interesting.
Rodger is a proven driver, Cagnazzi has proven they can make power, and Tommy Utt and crew have proven over the last 4 races that they could make this car competitive.
St. Louis might be v-e-r-y interesting,,,

Unk

At the end of last year Lucas bailed them out cause Charter was going in the tank. I totally understand VC business move, they needed another car on the track and this made logical sense. Rodger may be a qualified driver, but I don't think he could miss 5 races and still almost win a national championship in the same year. There's got to be something going on that a driver like Dave C. is setting on the bench. Sure wish I had a extra 2-3 million setting around cause he would be driver #1 on my team.

Is LifeLock still on the car?

May that of been then associate the dropped off that kept D.C. and Charter off the track??? Perhaps Rodger brought the $$ that LifeLock brought that allows the deal to happen.

Just a thought.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back