Comp Reruns? (1 Viewer)

There was oil on the track and they ran 4 pairs before they
found out there was oil. so the reran the last four pair

The reason the oil was not noticed was because it was leaking from a dry sump line and the turbo car doesn't have conventional headers to catch the oil and generate smoke. Massel was unaware his car was leaking oil until the tech guys started checking the right-lane cars to figure out where it came from - sure enough, it was still leaking in the pts. Since there was no smoke and Massel's car didn't get out of shape, the observers didn't see anything to prompt them to check the track until the fourth car following, a J/AA in the last pair, almost hit the wall. When they found oil, they started looking for the source.

The oil was between half track and 1,000 feet.

Nobody likes reruns, but conditions were not fair for the four cars that went down the right lane in the oil. All four lost. What's the alternative, just shrug it off? Tough luck, try again next year?

I agree it was the right thing to do. I am sure Rampy was not pleased with the outcome but if he would have been in Steve Ambrose's shoes and nearly hit the wall it would be different.

The reason the oil was not noticed was because it was leaking from a dry sump line and the turbo car doesn't have conventional headers to catch the oil and generate smoke. Massel was unaware his car was leaking oil until the tech guys started checking the right-lane cars to figure out where it came from - sure enough, it was still leaking in the pts. Since there was no smoke and Massel's car didn't get out of shape, the observers didn't see anything to prompt them to check the track until the fourth car following, a J/AA in the last pair, almost hit the wall. When they found oil, they started looking for the source.

The oil was between half track and 1,000 feet.

Nobody likes reruns, but conditions were not fair for the four cars that went down the right lane in the oil. All four lost. What's the alternative, just shrug it off? Tough luck, try again next year?
Why is this any different than when the timing was messed up early in the year? Ether rerun every one when NHRA has a problem or rerun no one.

Let's see, we bitch when NHRA doesn't do the right thing, then bitch when they do. Is there a pattern here?

Let's see, we bitch when NHRA doesn't do the right thing, then bitch when they do. Is there a pattern here?

Has there been a rule put in place or does it depend on what class and who it it to take effect? Sounds like they got to you and you have to take the company line.

I agree the reruns were fair, but I also heard that when the reruns were made, the track was colder and that created problems for one of the cars that had to rerun (not mine-another car).

The facts are not quite as stated in Tanksley's message - the reruns were at 9:30, not 10 p.m. and were 2 hours and 18 minutes after the original runs. Would have been sooner, but it took a while for the parade of people trying to talk race officials out of the reruns to finish their arguments and get back to the pits to get ready to race. They had much more than 30 minutes notice, used a lot of it trying to avoid the reruns. Super Gas and Super Comp ran just before the reruns and there was nothing during those rounds to suggest the track had dew forming on it.

Didn't check the weather at 9:30, but at 7 p.m. it was 80 degrees and 40 percent humidity. Not exactly crowding the dewpoint.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back