Chassis measurements (2 Viewers)

Mooseman

Nitro Member
Hello im wanting to build a funny car , I haven't got the money to buy one so I thought I might build a low buck one , even if I have to run it on gas it doesn't matter to me as long as I can get on the path to following my dream . I want to build the chassis but I don't know any of the measurementas and angles and stuff . Does anyone here know them?

William,
You can get blueprints from Mark Williams, S & W Race cars and a few others.
Not sure about S & W's website but you can try "www.markwilliams.com" and go to chassis kits and blueprints button. Prints are around $40.00 USD and well worth it if your are serious. Very detailed.

Hello im wanting to build a funny car , I haven't got the money to buy one so I thought I might build a low buck one , even if I have to run it on gas it doesn't matter to me as long as I can get on the path to following my dream . I want to build the chassis but I don't know any of the measurementas and angles and stuff . Does anyone here know them?

If you aren't an experienced TIG welder, you better find someone that is. It seems that alot of guys asking about building their own chassis start talking about MIG welding them.

I built a bracket dragster with Mark Williams prints and found that I had to change measurements in the driver's compartment (such as frame rail/shoulder hoop width) to get the car to fit me. I looked at a lot of cars for several years so I could try to incorporate as many good ideas as I could into one car.

It's quite an undertaking, especially if it's your first one. I don't know what kind of shipping and import duties you'd be looking at, but I'd suggest saving a lot of time and buying something used and reasonable from a site such as racingjunk. If you find something you like, post a message in the lounge asking if a mater lives near it and if they can go look at it for you for a fee. I've done it for parts that were too expensive to buy unseen, but not expensive enough to fly out and look at. Everyone gets something they want that way.

Last edited:
William, I learned how to tig weld building our first funny car, My father kept notching tube and i kept practicing welding scrap tube. the only way we were going Alky racing was to be able to do it all ourselves also. So have at it, the above posts are a great start (blueprints from S+W). Be happy to answer any questions.

What one man can do, another can do!

Mark
Tigges Racing,
TAFC 147

Last edited:
I thought TIG for Chromemoly and MIG for mild steel, is it all TIG now?

A lot of people will tig even if it's mild steel. I believe the minimum rules are still mig for mild, tig for 4130. I believe there's also a lot more to it than just tig welding 4130, such as stress relieving the heat affected area, etc. You can have pretty welds with any type of welding and still have nothing.

A lot of people will tig even if it's mild steel. I believe the minimum rules are still mig for mild, tig for 4130. I believe there's also a lot more to it than just tig welding 4130, such as stress relieving the heat affected area, etc. You can have pretty welds with any type of welding and still have nothing.

theres an excellent thread over at ITA about welding
insidetopalcohol.com - Another Welding Question?

Also theres a great tig/4130 FAQ over at the Tig Depot web site
TIG Depot - for all your welding needs!

Ill order the mark williams blueprints I think and make my own chassis , Random question ive noticed there are alot of chassis builders out there but who are the best ?

Who is the best is like asking is Ford or Mopar better.
Too many people with too many options.
It really is what you want out of a car. If you want a car to last through the millenium, get a Canode chassis. If you want that extra little for top alcohol, and don't mind spending, go McKinney, Hadman. S&W have made some great cars, and there are some homebuilt cars that run like banshees.
Really pesonal preference.
But I am in the process of getting ready to build my own funny car chassis. Setting the jig up and getting everything square is very important.
A good set of blueprints are a good start. Asking around is a good second start.

If you have the money and he is willing to build you one, go with Plueger chassis.
Everyone today copies his. Mckinney f/c chassis is a duped Plueger as well as a Paralax chassis. Plueger builds the best in the business, just cannot build them as fast as some others.

I hear that Bob Meyer in San Diego is building some FC chassis. His cars are very nice pieces.

A LOT of his chassis are In Australia which is relatively close to NZ. And Bob visits Australia often. Bob's past customer list is like a whos who of Alcohol racing, Roger Primm, Bruce McDowell, Tom Conway to name a few.

Thanks alot everybody for posting advice . Ill order the mark williams blueprints and build my own chassis based around the blueprints . I really like the idea of doing it myself and hopfully oneday do well in the sport knowing I did the work . Feel free to keep posting advice and opinions .

After some serious thinking I have decided to cancel the project and just save money and put money away every week and save . I was dreaming to big to soon and hopfully oneday will be able to do what I wan't to do.

I wish weekend bracket racing was as common and viable in a lot of other areas as it is here in the southeast. It's a nice pacifier when you can't afford anything else. A bracket dragster will give you a helluva ride if you've never been in one, too.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back