Change in ESPN time and channel for Epping (1 Viewer)

stitcherbob

Nitro Member
Just a head's up....the qualifying show is now at 8:30 tonight on ESPN instead of the previously quoted (by NHRA) 8:00 and ESPN2.....

race is on ESPN2 on Sunday at 7pm

such a quick schedule change, evidenced by the ESPN2 announcers that just said "NHRA racing coming up next" and it switched to a ESPN film.......

the show will be after the Nationwide NASCAR race on ESPN

DVR's on pause!

Thank you for the info, watching #2 and a no show,got it again not that inportant to E.S.P.N.that the show gets watched, I think that NHRA needs to spend more money for air time. NASCAR is never late on ESPN.

Yes, thanks for the info. I caught it just in time. I didn't see any trailer alerts down below on espn2 that would indicate the change. But when i switched over to espn, NHRA drag racing was the title.
Thanks again.

Well I set my dvr and headed out to Cordova for the LODRS race.Thanks NHRA,or ESPN whoever Is responsible for the last minute change!

I hate to say it, I'm waiting for them to go back to the recently revived TNN. Yeah I won't be able to get the channel but sadly that where they had their glory years.

Sponsors keep themselves as far away from this like there's a "Pro Rasslin stink" to it, meanwhile NASCAR and even IndyCar (which as I said previously is nowhere near where it was pre-1996) they'll fall all over, but "NHRA...that "Death Racing" that I hear about on the news...naaaaah"

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I hate to say it, I'm waiting for them to go back to the recently revived TNN. Yeah I won't be able to get the channel but sadly that where they had their glory years.

Sponsors keep themselves as far away from this like there's a "Pro Rasslin stink" to it, meanwhile NASCAR and even IndyCar (which as I said previously is nowhere near where it was pre-1996) they'll fall all over, but "NHRA...that "Death Racing" that I hear about on the news...naaaaah"

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
If you guys had checked the NHRA website Friday and/or watched ESPN3 Friday this change was advertised as best they could. The information was out there, I saw it and heard it. What else do you want, personal email? Show started at 8:35 on ESPN pretty much as advertised in PRIMETIME. If you missed it, most of the blame lies on each of you. But I guess it is easier to bash NHRA and ESPN.

And has been mentioned here 1,000,000 times ... NHRA pays ESPN for TV coverage. The other motorsports are PAID crazy $$ by ESPN or Fox or NBC for exclusive rights. Very BIG difference. Do you see any of those TV networks lining up to pay NHRA $$ for their TV ... NOPE. Complain all you want, this sport has a relatively small niche fan base, compared to others, that no network is interested in making a $$ investment in. The NHRA package is out there, and there appears to be no interest. I wish it were different and more mainstream too, but it is what it is.

But, this is just as bad as not starting on time. How many thousands of people, like me, recorded hours of nothing on ESPN2? Why would you make this change? Just to get on "the big network" and not "the deuce"? So literally EVERYONE who recorded it, and a huge percentage of the people who tuned in for it didn't see it? Why? Why? Because they could? :confused:

Drag racing is on ESPN2. Having it not be on ESPN2 is just as bad as having it be on OWN -- people can't find it and won't watch. I can understand it if there was some big special event on the deuce, but it was just because they could...

If you guys had checked the NHRA website Friday and/or watched ESPN3 Friday this change was advertised as best they could. The information was out there, I saw it and heard it. What else do you want, personal email? Show started at 8:35 on ESPN pretty much as advertised in PRIMETIME. If you missed it, most of the blame lies on each of you. But I guess it is easier to bash NHRA and ESPN.

And has been mentioned here 1,000,000 times ... NHRA pays ESPN for TV coverage. The other motorsports are PAID crazy $$ by ESPN or Fox or NBC for exclusive rights. Very BIG difference. Do you see any of those TV networks lining up to pay NHRA $$ for their TV ... NOPE. Complain all you want, this sport has a relatively small niche fan base, compared to others, that no network is interested in making a $$ investment in. The NHRA package is out there, and there appears to be no interest. I wish it were different and more mainstream too, but it is what it is.

And the biggest event in the NYC Market for motorsports...it's not the Summernationals. It's Monster Jam...wait til F1 gets to finally debut in NJ...It'd make the Meadowlands Grand Prix from the Indycar days look like Atco's failed Nostalgia Funny Car Show from a few years ago (Once referred on the Drag Racing Underground board as the "GFYASHNFCA" ("Go F*ck yourself and stay home nostalgia Funny Car Association") Race)

turned on espn2 last night around 5:50cst to catch race; in last 10 minutes
of sportscenter they showed film and commentary of force/force fc final
from epping; less than five minutes before the nhra telecast.
for once race preceded by sportscenter and starts at scheduled time,
but network shows winner of race 5 minutes before broadcast starts.
a multi-year contract with a giant like espn does NOT lend credibility to your tape
delayed sport if the results are provided by your hosting network just prior
to your 'paid for' broadcast.
was this an error? or was it allowed to happen? to argue for live television?
dragracecentral.com shows yesterday's tf final going off @ 3:53pm local time.

Last edited:
less than five minutes before the nhra telecast.
for once race preceded by sportscenter and starts at scheduled time,
but network shows winner of race 5 minutes before broadcast starts.

that used to happen to me all the time on Speed (when Speed showed racing)...I remember one occasion when the news" scroll across the bottom showed the winner of the race they were showing at the time...so that kind of screw up isn't limited NHRA or ESPN

my understanding of the whole ESPN/ESPN2 deal was what time slot on which network would be open depended on the outcome of some college stick and ball playoff game and previous commitments related to that :shrug:

Dave Reiff tweeted that it was done to capitalize on the audience watching the NASCAR race. I guess the slot after it became open, and NHRA wanted to get that, as he put it, #ratingsboost.

And in turn left all the loyal NHRA fans behind. Oh, well...

chris, what time slot?.....the 3-hour slot for race? or the 30 sec. slot at
end of sportscenter that announced FC winner 3 minutes before the race
started?

Last edited:
when I went back to edit my dvr coverage of the race, I was surprised to see that Force coverage.....glad I didn't see it until after the race

that's why there is still tape residue on the bottom of my TV screen - at just about "news scroll high" :p

Dave Reiff tweeted that it was done to capitalize on the audience watching the NASCAR race. I guess the slot after it became open, and NHRA wanted to get that, as he put it, #ratingsboost.

And in turn left all the loyal NHRA fans behind. Oh, well...

Yeah, I'ld like to see the numbers (ratings) to see if it worked.:confused:
I missed it along with many other loyals like Chris says. How many nascar folks stayed with it??? Will nhra try this again, :confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back