Capps puts NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge in Arizona winner's circle for third time (1 Viewer)

CHANDLER, Ariz. (Feb. 24, 2013) - Ron Capps loved being in the winner's circle Sunday after winning the Funny Car title with his NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge Charger R/T in the NHRA Arizona Nationals near Phoenix.

But someone else seemed to cherish it more.

Capps' 16-year-old daughter, Taylor, couldn't wait to take photos of her dad as he was on stage to receive his first Mello Yello Drag Racing Series trophy of the young season. He got close a week ago when he finished runner-up in the opener at Pomona, Calif.

The last two events for Capps didn't end up exactly how she wanted. The past season ended with her dad needing to win one more round on the final day of the season to get his first NHRA world championship, but he missed the coveted prize by two points. And last week he made it to the final round but came up a little short.

There were no disappointments this time for Taylor at Firebird International Raceway.

"I love it when he wins and I can come be part of it," she said. "I love the father-daughter time we get and love being in the racing community. It's a lot of fun when he wins."

Taylor has grown up in the winner's circle with her dad and there's good reason for her to expect more celebrations soon.

When Capps beat Don Schumacher Racing teammate Matt Hagan in the championship round, it marked his 24th win with DSR and the 39th of his NHRA pro career.

Capps with crew chief Rahn Tobler and assistant John Collins produced four runs Sunday between 4.037 seconds and the 4.064 he ran in the final against Hagan, who slowed to a 4.158.

"This new car really likes to be planted early, and so Tobler has been working on a new clutch package," said Capps, who won for the third time at Firebird.

"In (the final qualifying session Saturday), we finally found out what it really liked. And when you give Tobler a new combination that works, he's going to 'bracket car' it to death," he said of Tobler's penchant for consistency.

The combination of being runner-up at Pomona and Capps' win Sunday moved the NAPA team to first in the Mello Yello standings after two of 24 events.

"We're starting to feel like we're getting into the same rhythm that we were in last year when we went to six finals in a row," Capps said. "I think that both Rahn and I built up some confidence in each other at Pomona, and now here."

Their win was the 197th for DSR and teammate Tony Schumacher followed by winning the Arizona Top Fuel title to move the organization within two of the 200-win milestone.

It also marked the 33rd time DSR has won two or more titles at the same NHRA event.

More...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back