Beckman out in joliet opening round (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]JOLIET, Ill. (June 7, 2009) - Driving the Valvoline Engine Guarantee Dodge Funny Car in this weekend's NHRA Route 66 Nationals at Route 66 Raceway, No. 15 qualifier "Fast" Jack Beckman was defeated by No. 2 qualifier Ashley Force Hood in the opening stanza.

Under cooler conditions following a morning rain shower, Beckman had the edge at the starting lights with a .086 reaction time to Force Hood's .090 (.000 is perfect), but Force Hood grabbed the win, tying the duo's record of round wins over the other this season to 2-2, including one national event win each. His numbers: 4.168/295.50; hers: 4.085/304.39.

Beckman held on to his No. 5 position in the point standings.

"If I had to sum up our weekend, we were one run behind all the time," he said. "That run against Ashley was a 4.13 if I had staged like I did in qualifying. It was a decent run, but when you go up against the No. 2 qualified car that is consistently running 4.0s, it wasn't enough.

"Had we been able to get the handle on the track yesterday or Friday, not only would we have had a more favorable first-round match-up we would have had good quick data to tune off of. We just got a run behind and never quite caught up.

"It told us something on that run," he added. "We don't know if conditions are going to be similar in Englishtown (next event). If it's hot, I think we're in good shape, if it's cold and we can use this data from today, I think that's going to be helpful.

"We have to start qualifying better. That's the name of the game for us."

Next up is the NHRA Supernationals in Englishtown, N.J., June 12-14.

UNOFFICIAL FUNNY CAR POINT STANDINGS, after 10 events:
1. Ron Capps, 760
2. Tony Pedregon, 702 (winner today)
3. Ashley Force Hood, 700 (runner-up today)
4. Del Worsham, 641
5. Jack Beckman, 584
6. Tim Wilkerson, 553
7. Matt Hagan, 513
8. Bob Tasca III, 513
9. John Force, 507
10. Cruz Pedregon, 494
11. Mike Neff, 484
12. Robert Hight, 430
13. Jeff Arend, 313

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread