Baker puts all his money on ‘Camaro Black’ in Vegas (1 Viewer)

LAS VEGAS (October 29, 2009) - Pro Mod driver Joe Baker has two things on his mind coming into this weekend's Get Screened America Pro Mod Challenge presented by ProCare Rx at the NHRA Las Vegas Nationals: Win the $35,000 Matco Tools Pro Mod Clash, and win the main event. And, according to the Milton, Fla. homebuilder, he's up to the task.

"It's our turn," Baker said. "We've had a year of ups and downs, and all of us on the team really want to finish on a high note. To win the event would be great, but to take home that $25,000 grand prize in the clash - now, that'd be like hitting the jackpot.

"Chuck (Ford, crew chief) has a lot of experience at this track. It's a bit tricky, especially given that it might be chilly when we're racing. You can't throw too much at it for fear of losing traction and blowing the tires off, but you've got to beat the other guys. If anyone can do it, Chuck can, and I'm ready to do my part at the 'tree and on the track."

Baker enters the event in fourth place in the points and has an outside chance of moving all the way into second place, given those in front of him go out in the first round and he wins the event. In the Matco Clash, Baker is paired with former world champion Jay Payne in the first round.

"Hey, this is Vegas, right? The home of the long-shot winner. All my money is on Camaro black this weekend, and I'm sure it will pay off," Baker said.

The first round of qualifying on Friday, Oct. 30, for all cars competing in the event is scheduled for 12:00 p.m., and the first round of the Matco Tools Clash is scheduled for 6:00 p.m., followed by the remaining cars in their second round of qualifying. Saturday's schedule begins with the semifinals of the clash scheduled at 11:00 a.m. followed by the final qualifying session for the remaining cars. The finals of the Clash will be contested at 1:15 p.m. following the third qualifying round of nitro Funny Car. Event eliminations will be run in their entirety on Sunday November 1.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back