Back to the 1/4 Mile??? (1 Viewer)

1/8 mile. 1000". 1/4 mile. Everyone restricted to same tune up. Yeah, I know, never happen in a million years.

It’s not happening. And, especially different length tracks. Nowadays, different length tracks just about demands an entirely different car.

Maybe they will just make it a few races? I would def try to attend that race for sure!

It's being discussed over on the 'Nitro Heads' Facebook page like it has some legs. Apparently someone saw the subject brought up on "the show" today. Not sure which show... (probably something I should know)

I read somewhere that the insurance is more of the problem but hey who knows #️⃣NEVERHAPPYRACINGASSOCIATION 🏁🏁

I saw this on Twitter earlier tonight and saw it on Facebook just now, interesting thought. Not sure it will fly, but it would be cool at the tracks with extended run off.

I know it will never happen but for conversation who decides what tracks? Some tracks are obvious but others maybe close to having enough shutdown. Do you bring in a third party to make an assessment using the weight of cars, horsepower, size of the parachute to determine how much shutdown is needed to safely stop a car in most situations and would this satisfy the insurance company?

Okay, so what is the magic number that qualifies a track to be eligible to be a 1/4 mile and how do you come up with it? Because if I am a track owner, I want to know EXACTLY what it is.

Okay, so what is the magic number that qualifies a track to be eligible to be a 1/4 mile and how do you come up with it? Because if I am a track owner, I want to know EXACTLY what it is.

There never has been a magic number, nor will there ever be, because the same circumstances exist today as when we lost Scott, that being If everything works properly on the cars, the fuel cars could run 1/4 mile right now. But if things go bad, and there are certainly many levels of going bad, there is a possibility that no track is long enough.

The same weekend we lost Scott, Fuller got stopped after a full pull with no chutes, while 5 years earlier Super Gas racer Phil Burghard was lost at St. Louis after going off the end of the track. It doesn't matter from which side you look at it, you can't get there, not even today. Scott's car blew up at essentially the same spot of the track that we're now running, so the track distance really didn't factor in, just like in Burghard's incident. When you have catastrophic failure, anything can happen regardless of shutdown length.

This sport is dangerous enough competing in the slowest of classes. Throw Pop in the tank and all bets are off.

Sean D

Tony P had said something along the lines of he would like to see 1320 at a few tracks that could handle it.

300 feet is not making anything safer during a catastrophic failure. IIRC more drivers have died from failures which created shrapnel, Medlin, Russell.........

There never has been a magic number, nor will there ever be, because the same circumstances exist today as when we lost Scott, that being If everything works properly on the cars, the fuel cars could run 1/4 mile right now. But if things go bad, and there are certainly many levels of going bad, there is a possibility that no track is long enough.

The same weekend we lost Scott, Fuller got stopped after a full pull with no chutes, while 5 years earlier Super Gas racer Phil Burghard was lost at St. Louis after going off the end of the track. It doesn't matter from which side you look at it, you can't get there, not even today. Scott's car blew up at essentially the same spot of the track that we're now running, so the track distance really didn't factor in, just like in Burghard's incident. When you have catastrophic failure, anything can happen regardless of shutdown length.

This sport is dangerous enough competing in the slowest of classes. Throw Pop in the tank and all bets are off.

Sean D

This is why its necessary to have an outside entity because we have to many closed minded people who think you cannot make it safer. Simple things like making sure there are no openings on the track, no lift booms in the shutdown. Be proactive and not reactive. Its impossible to account for every situation but you can make the window smaller. And yes there is a magic number if you apply the correct formula! It does not take an engineer or scientist to see we were running on tracks that were too short for fuel cars. Remove the boom from the end of the track and Scott is still racing, close the opening at Indy and Blaine might still be here.

Serious question: Why does everyone feel it's so important to go back to 1/4 mile? I mean really? Who actually can tell the difference from the stands? I hated the thought of reducing the length to 1,000 feet at first, but now we have exciting, competitive racing and I see no valid reason other than nostalgia to go back.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back