Back to the 1/4 Mile??? (1 Viewer)

David, that is a good question. Maybe because only T/F and F/C run 1000' and all the other classes 1/4 mile. That could be confusing to spectators, especially folks new to drag racing. If they did go back to 1320, what would happen with track prep? Would they spray to the 1/4 mile? Asking that cuz of races in the past. Was at Wild Horse a few years back when the track was prepped to 1000' and the Pro Stock cars had problems at the top end. Gordy Rivera got loose and literally flew thru the air. I guess they prep the whole track now, but if they wanted to keep speeds down in 1/4 mile.....

^ Probably the biggest reason is the TRADITION that 1/4 mile has always been the accepted distance, just like baseball is 9 innings and it's 90 feet between bases. Also, countless races now would be entirely different in outcome, if they raced to 1/4 mile. The "top end charge" has all but been eliminated.

Going back to 1/4 mile at some tracks was mentioned on the Fox show Friday night. Don't remember if it was Brian or Tony. Was mentioned as being talked about all over Epping but no authoritative source mentioned.

Tony P had said something along the lines of he would like to see 1320 at a few tracks that could handle it.

300 feet is not making anything safer during a catastrophic failure. IIRC more drivers have died from failures which created shrapnel, Medlin, Russell.........
I would love to see the proof you have to make a statement like that.:rolleyes:

Well at 200 mph you cover 300 ft in one second at 300 mph you cover 500 ft in one second,
something goes wrong .5 second reaction time, avg., 300 ft is gone and you still wind up in the gravel.

In reality none of the tracks are "safe" for shut down area if they were they would not need kitty litter at the end of them.
IMO for safety you should be able to coast to a stop, tracks should be double the length they are.
Nitro has far outgrown what is out there.

Well at 200 mph you cover 300 ft in one second at 300 mph you cover 500 ft in one second,
something goes wrong .5 second reaction time, avg., 300 ft is gone and you still wind up in the gravel.

In reality none of the tracks are "safe" for shut down area if they were they would not need kitty litter at the end of them.
IMO for safety you should be able to coast to a stop, tracks should be double the length they are.
Nitro has far outgrown what is out there.

The cause of Eric's death was the shaking not shrapnel like in Darrell case. You say more drivers? I would like to see your data. I do think it should be mandatory for TF cars to be enclosed and not left up to a CC.

Since there is a MPH limit on the present tires. Just what will they do to make sure it is not gone over if they go to 1320 on some tracks?

Stan

the rev limiter and gear ratio pretty much limit their speed. They would need to change their tune up to get there later in the timing sequence.

Dom Lagana went 338 last year in T/F on 1/4 mile track. Got it stopped OK. Said he really didn't change much to run 1/4 mile. I do agree that the tracks are too short. Most of the tracks in the country right now were built 1960's to 1980's when speeds were a lot slower. I think the longest track is Wild Horse, which does have a "by pass" lane that goes past the kitty litter and, as Alan says, "1/2 way to Tucson". Have seen drivers use that in the past.

One thing Antron said in the above article is to have a "feeder" nitro class, like nostalgia F/C and T/F. Run those classes at national events & then the next step up would be pro. Only problem I have with that is it would be the end of the alky classes. Those ARE the feeder classes to Pro cars. Ya know, they could have some Nat'l events with Alky cars & some with nostalgia cars.

I'd like to see one of Antron's other ideas implemented-an all night race. Maybe two rounds of qualifying on Friday night and eliminations on Saturday night. Night racing could bring in new fans as it is visually spectacular. Avoiding Sunday would make it easier for people who travel and have to work Monday. Curfews would be an issue at places like Pomona and Sonoma but would work at places like Phoenix, Joliet. I would have added Vegas but I think people would rather party in Vegas than go to the races at night... Two night races with only two rounds of qualifying would also reduce parts and travel costs for teams.

Phoenix has a midnight curfew because of noise. Lotsa people have moved somewhat close to the track in the last 30 plus years. They do run some sportsmen classes at night, until 1 AM, but not the Pro cars. I agree, night racing would be great. That is what I miss now. Used to go to night races most of the time, OCIR, etc.

One thing Antron said in the above article is to have a "feeder" nitro class, like nostalgia F/C and T/F. Run those classes at national events & then the next step up would be pro. Only problem I have with that is it would be the end of the alky classes. Those ARE the feeder classes to Pro cars. Ya know, they could have some Nat'l events with Alky cars & some with nostalgia cars.
If they would just allow injected nitro into the Top Alcohol funny cars like they do in Top Alcohol dragster you would have two feeder classes for Top Fuel and Fuel Funny car.

If they would just allow injected nitro into the Top Alcohol funny cars like they do in Top Alcohol dragster you would have two feeder classes for Top Fuel and Fuel Funny car.

Someone tried that like 20 years ago in the IHRA and after the other teams had fits it was banned. I think it should be allowed but I can see the potential cost and parity issues.

What is the difference in cost, Nostalgia T/F and F/C VS T/AD and TA/FC? Wouldn't they be pretty close?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back