As 2008 comes to a close, Gray is already focused on 2009 (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]POMONA, Sunday: The Automobile Club of Southern California Finals is the cap on the 2008 NHRA POWERade Drag Racing season and the end of Johnny Gray’s venture into the competitive world of Pro Stock as an independent team. And even though Gray was looking for a better conclusion to his year at the Auto Club Raceway at Pomona this weekend, he is already focused on the 2009 season.

In qualifying Gray’s beautiful Dodge Stratus was consistent, posting a 6.704, 6.745, and a 6.696 in the first three qualifying sessions. As he rolled up to the line for his fourth and final attempt on Saturday, he was not in the show. But his 6.692 at 206.48 mph moved him right up into the No. 15 slot.

As 15th Gray faced the No. 2 qualifier, Jason Line in the first-round of eliminations. Gray left the line first but his 6.697 wasn’t enough to hold off Line’s 6.656.

“We struggled in qualifying,” said Gray, “and then finally made a good enough run just to sneak in the field. The car ran good in the first-round but we never did really get it up to speed. We ran a .69 as the front half of the field was running .64’s and .65’s. But we just got beat. I should have done a better job but he would have probably still beat me. I love Jason and he won but I’m going to pay him back next year.”

As the Dodge was being loaded into the trailer ready to make the journey across the country back to the shop in Ohio, Gray was already done with worrying about this year and was focused on the next.

“We’re excited to do the new deal with Allen Johnson next year,” said Gray. “And we’ve got some new people coming on board. My team will all be here next year, all the guys are staying. We’ve got some new help coming on board to help both teams that I’m sure Allen will announce a little later. We still feel real strong about being in the Top 10 next year.

“Allen’s already told me that we need to get the guys about a week of rest and then get ready to go test. It sounds like we’re going to have a busy off season.”

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back