Arrest Warrent for Wayne Dupuy (1 Viewer)

jpee

Nitro Member
I missed the most of it but on NHRA they said a warrant was out for Wayne Dupuy & that things were missing from Doug's operation.. I may have it all wrong.. but I do know something about a warrant & missing items were mentioned.. & Wayne would turn himself in After the race... ???

Last edited:
I was trying to figure out what was being said as i caught the end of it sayin something about turning himself in?????? i just didn't want to be the first to ask incase I was hearin things..LOL

I am sitting in a hotel room watching the replay and I heard the same thing. Wow, I guess Wayne left with with a little more then he went in with.

You pretty much got everything Marty said on the telecast John. Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.

You know, after the Denver race when they interviewed Wayne on the phone and then the Memphis race when he was in the UPS pit, the guy just didnt seem right in the head. If this is true I hope he gets the help he needs.

I'm thinking if he did leave with anything it was not hard parts. .. but log books, & computer records of runs re: the set up etc...

Ya know, there is more than one side to situations like this. Who knows what will come of it. For espn2 to even bring it up is a low blow to Wayne Dupuy.

If he took HIS tuneup with him when he left, about all he would owe Herbert is a laptop. Big whoop.

Another sad deal for drag racing. If the agency that issued the arrest warrant has proof that Wayne took physical items that were the property of Herbert Racing, there might be something to this.
That being said . . . unless there was a clause in a written contract stating that notes written by Wayne or contained in computer files are the specific property of Herbert Racing, those notes and/or files may be Wayne's intellectual property.
In our industry (and many others) information created by our company and not specifically shown on an invoice as being paid for by the customer legally remains our intellectual property. Long story short - pi$$ing match ensues - customer can not obtain the information.
If this about tuneup information that left with Wayne, an attorney should respond to these allegations. Considering that there is going to be a shortage of Pro tuners next year, if I was a crew chief, I would want an ironclad contract stating who has the rights to tuneup information. Or, I would make sure that all of this information was only on a computer that was my sole property and remained in my control at all times.
Unless this about the theft of property, this is going to get ugly and could have far reaching implications. Does a team owner have the rights to a crew chief's thought processes and creativity? After this mess winds its way through the legal system, we may have an answer.

Ya know, there is more than one side to situations like this. Who knows what will come of it. For espn2 to even bring it up is a low blow to Wayne Dupuy.

If he took HIS tuneup with him when he left, about all he would owe Herbert is a laptop. Big whoop.

I'm in agreement with you 100%... I seriously doubt Wayne took a set of heads etc... I'm betting its the tune up ... and Jim Young made some VERY valid points... as an example if the car was running like crap 5.00 then after Wayne became crew chief he got it to run 4.50s it WAS HIS work & experience that got the car running better.. & it was HIS set up.. but I learned there are ALWAYS 3 sides to a story.. there is ONE side, and there is the "other side" & somewhere between them is the "TRUTH" and it may be a long drawn out deal.. or the judge may just dismiss the case and END it right away...just look at how long NHRA has been in court with the Pro Truck, & the Russell case's... Although it don't look like NHRA is involved in this case .. its more of a private thing between the 2 parties..

You know, it's not like a 4.50 tune up is something that's extremely rare.
Any high calibre NHRA crew chief will bring his own performance tune up, and not work off the last guys combo.

My guess is that it's something to do with actual parts.
Either way, it's pretty sad that both a crew chief, AND an owner have to let the law settle this situation.

With the way laws are written, any combination that was developed by Wayne while he was employed with Herbert is intellectual property of Herbert. Herbert is entitled to those log books and any other information that was created during Wayne's tenure since he was en employee of Herbert.

Hmmmmmm! Ya' know... I when I saw him leaving the Snap-On hauler in the pits here in Denver I thought to myself, "man, he sure has gained some weight". Now come to find out he had 2 cylinder heads and an extra crew shirt stashed under his belt..... that explains it !

Really though - what next ???? Whatever the situation - I think it was totally inappropriate to be talked about on the broadcast.

Geeze; good luck to them all. That's a PR nightmare....

Iirc

I read or saw on tv that Wayne said he offered to give Doug the log books, or make copies for him, and Doug refused.

I hope Wayne gets things sorted out. He is sooo lucky to still be alive!

-85% Jimmy
with a rev limiter

Whether or not the intellectual property belongs to the intellectual or to his employer depends on the employment contract - verbal or written.

Something of this nature may be the beginning of the crew chiefs purchasing their own personal data recorders/computers, etc., if some aren't doing this already.

As far as ESPN2 mentioning it "on air" - it's news. It is a FACT that an allegation has been made sufficient to support a warrant.
We don't know much else right now.
This saddens me - if only - because Doug seemed to have done so much to bring Wayne back from his near-death situation. It appears to me that Wayne is still "fragile" and Doug seemed to be very patient in regards to Wayne getting himself back together.
Showing up in VanDerGriff's pit after leaving Doug flat, then, apparently joining his team seems to be an odd way to rehabilitate.

Just odd....

No doubt this is a sad and unfortunate situation. But I agree that it is a legitimate news story. Therefore it was appropriate for ESPN2 to mention it.

The fact is that none of you know exactly what was taken, so speculation on the matter will serve no positive purpose.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back