Another reason for the "Perfect Storm" of Top Fuel Exodus. (1 Viewer)

I'm more uneasy about the Radical Mulslims ( Or anyone who takes the Koran as gospel ) who exist soley to wipe out the West and those who refuse to bow to "ALLAH" gaining influence in the Greatest Show on earth!!! :confused:

Any Muslims owning NASCAR Teams :eek:

For some reason i cant help but comment on this thread! Why is it that when somebody from a foreign nation takes interest in the sport that we love that everybody has to make accusations and unfound comments, In these trying times and economy one would think that any sponsorship brought to the table would be welcome weather it be from Hitler himself! We as fans should embrace the fact that foreign countries or new sponsors have taken interest in the NHRA instead we find it neccesary to cry and piss and moan when longtime sponsors decide that its not economically feasible for them to sponsor teams anymore! Guess its pretty easy to forget that pretty much any product we buy on daily basis is sold on a worldwide market, so why not embrace any sponsorship money that is brought to an NHRA orginization weather it be from an American Company or Foreign company instead of wine :eek: about 9 and 10 car fields!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With regard to buying American made products.....go clothes shopping as see how hard it is to buy clothing that's actually made in America. Damn near impossible!

A very good friend of mine recently went to by his annual pair of Red Wing Shoes. He was apalled to find out they are not made in America any longer. That was one of the main reasons he spent the money on them specifically in the first place--and they aren't cheap.

Same here Lori, our company purchased several pairs of work boots for our employees from Red Wing and they were all not made in America. I was a little dissappointed but thought "Who makes shoes in the USA anymore?" It is a sign of the times. Sad but true, but the USA will rebound and so will Drag Racing, and maybe better.

You mean there are some people on here that actually think that someone other than AJ and LD will win the 2009 T/F championship? :eek:

Hey Leebone, I don't think the Brew Brothers will be covering any Rob Zombie tunes any time soon! :eek::D

Murdock.

Murdock, unfortunately the Beer Brothers aren't covering ANY tunes these days. That fizzled out 3 years ago. The blues kinda died around here. I've been doing the 80s rock thing lately.

I'm more uneasy about the Radical Mulslims ( Or anyone who takes the Koran as gospel ) who exist soley to wipe out the West and those who refuse to bow to "ALLAH" gaining influence in the Greatest Show on earth!!! :confused:

Any Muslims owning NASCAR Teams :eek:

WOW, that's some pretty strong opinions you have. With 9-11 still ringing in my ears, part of me wants to agree with you. HOWEVER, I hope you are very wrong about Al Anabi. I'd rather look at it as money coming "in" to our economy and creating jobs. Also, I doubt very much if Larry, Alan and Del will have to bow to Allah. :rolleyes:

WOW, that's some pretty strong opinions you have. With 9-11 still ringing in my ears, part of me wants to agree with you. HOWEVER, I hope you are very wrong about Al Anabi. I'd rather look at it as money coming "in" to our economy and creating jobs. Also, I doubt very much if Larry, Alan and Del will have to bow to Allah. :rolleyes:

That's right. Usually it's importation of goods or services. I see Alan Johnson as being an exporter of services.

Like I said, maybe motorsports marketing needs to be looking outside of this country where our money is going. Maybe proposals should be going out that require language translation.

If $50 million can find Alan Johnson, how much more might be out there for those who look for it?

Registered member said:
Probably not that much. A sponsors main objective is to eventually sell its products. In the case of Al-Anabi sell their country to potential customers. (tourists, investers)
I'm wondering how many drag race fans will contemplate visiting Quatar in the future or investing in it.
If I read the reactions on this forum I would presume none.
So maybe, just maybe Al-Anabi invests in drag racing because the like the sport AND want to put their country on the map.
I would welcome them, not scare the of.

Hans

Probably not that much. A sponsors main objective is to eventually sell its products. In the case of Al-Anabi sell their country to potential customers. (tourists, investers)
I'm wondering how many drag race fans will contemplate visiting Quatar in the future or investing in it.
If I read the reactions on this forum I would presume none.
So maybe, just maybe Al-Anabi invests in drag racing because the like the sport AND want to put their country on the map.
I would welcome them, not scare the of.

Hans

I pose it as a question because I don't think anyone could possibly know. Maybe someone like Anabi has to come to you, that selling them wouldn't work. Too bad we couldn't make that a country vs country thing, where other countries could use "our money" to compete with his country! A drag racing version of the Olympics. Someone needs to be in Japan, China, and Taiwan saying "Boy! That Anabi sure is a bad ass!" :D

Just figure out which message boards in those countries are frequented by the wealthy and have people who can speak the language post about it. Make it about pride in your country. Representing your country. Turn them against each other in ways that our sport would benefit from.

We need pro Anabi propaganda in countries that oppose his! Tell me I'm wrong.

Maybe the companies that own the sweatshops around the world that produce what we wear wouldn't be interested? Of course, those are often companies that used to have plants here that still have the nice, familiar brand names.

People who are close to me have heard me say "Nitromater." I bet the friends of billionaires around the world might be able to tell you what message boards are frequented by them.

We just saw $50 million up and come this way. I think it's stupid "not to go where the money is" by learning from that and TRYING to CAUSE more of it to happen intentionally.

Might not be the kind of people who will fall for a direct sale. Like I said, make them want to come to you.

Last edited:
There was a song, popular in World War 1, that had a lyric: How ya' gonna' keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paree? People in this country were concerned that American soldiers would not want to return to their farms and families after they had seen the sights of Europe.
The same concerns exist in the Arab world, which is not monolithic. Qatar and the UAE are quite different from Saudi Arabia and different from Gaza. Their are many Muslims in that part of the world that are concerned that contact with the West will let the genie out of the bottle. Once out, it cannot be gotten back in.
Of course, not every Muslim that comes in contact with Western culture will become "Westernized." However, there are Muslims in many places around the world who do not strap suicide belts on before entering pizza parlors. There are divisions within the Muslim world, some religious, some ethnic, some inexplicable. One of the great political fears in the Arab world is that Iran wants to control the Arab world. The Iranian population includes some Arabs but the dominant population are the non-Arab Persians. Iran is Shi'a, much of the Arab world is Sunni. They have many religious differences of which I am aware but lack the expertise to describe respectfully.
If Al Anabi wanted to come here to terrorize, I'd oppose that with every fiber of my being. If they want to race, come on down. I don't have to agree with anyone's religious views to stage against them.
Of course, some Arabs are not Muslim. Some professed Muslims are not fully in accord with their own religion. I'll bet there are even some who think it doesn't have anything to do with drag racing.
I wonder where they got that idea . . . .
Cheers,
Ed

I'm just thinking that we see $50 million over ten years as a huge amount of money partly because I'm pretty sure it's the biggest drag racing contract ever signed. There might be people who would easily double that, seeing it as their country competing with his country. If it's your business to pursue sponsorships, as an owner or an agent, I don't think you miss that. That much money just FOUND it's way over here! Hello??? Why don't people try to CAUSE it to happen? Even if it's by a method that some might consider to be a little underhanded. ;)

Last edited:
This thread is defeatist, xenophobic and dammed near racist. Above all, it is completely nonsensical. ANY sponsor coming into the sport only sees dollars and cents, return on investment, position in the marketplace ... you know PRACTICAL THINGS. I doubt there is any executive/company on the planet Earth that is sitting in a board room going over 2009/10 marketing dollars saying to themselves: "I would really love to get involved in NHRA Drag Racing, but since Alan Johnson has big money behind him ... we may as well not even be there because we can't compete." PATENTLY RIDICULOUS.

This gets my vote for the first thread to be deleted in 2009.

This thread is defeatist, xenophobic and dammed near racist. Above all, it is completely nonsensical. ANY sponsor coming into the sport only sees dollars and cents, return on investment, position in the marketplace ... you know PRACTICAL THINGS. I doubt there is any executive/company on the planet Earth that is sitting in a board room going over 2009/10 marketing dollars saying to themselves: "I would really love to get involved in NHRA Drag Racing, but since Alan Johnson has big money behind him ... we may as well not even be there because we can't compete." PATENTLY RIDICULOUS.

This gets my vote for the first thread to be deleted in 2009.

"ANY sponsor coming into the sport only sees dollars and cents, return on investment, position in the marketplace ... you know PRACTICAL THINGS."

You say that WHILE the sports newest and biggest sponsor is exactly NOT that? That's what I'm saying. The biggest sponsorship contract to be signed was obviously NOT for return on investment. See if there are any more out there like him who would like to go heads up.

I'm not saying they're our enemy but, the old saying "My enemy's enemy is my friend"? Play them against each other and drag racing could benefit. What's more patriotic than bringing our money home? It's exporting of services if the money comes from somewhere else, even if the services are performed here.

"ANY sponsor coming into the sport only sees dollars and cents, return on investment, position in the marketplace ... you know PRACTICAL THINGS."

You say that WHILE the sports newest and biggest sponsor is exactly NOT that? That's what I'm saying. The biggest sponsorship contract to be signed was obviously NOT for return on investment. See if there are any more out there like him who would like to go heads up.

I'm not saying they're our enemy but, the old saying "My enemy's enemy is my friend"? Play them against each other and drag racing could benefit. What's more patriotic than bringing our money home? It's exporting of services if the money comes from somewhere else, even if the services are performed here.

But what happens Ron when the folks at Al-Anabi get together with a few of their big buck friends to not only build race cars, but race tracks, blowers, blocks and fuel systems? And to do that, they do what the sheik has done and come over and gathered the best guys and companies (Keith Black Co. is available...) that they can afford- which they right now have gotten Number One's all the way around- with the offer to come on board and be on the ground floor of a TRUE International Hot Rod Association (which wouldn't be too far off base considering that Feld could put that whole thing up at any time)? An entire series that stops in the U.S. as often as F1 does, but containing all the guys that USED to race here that are making 5 times as much to race over there? Think sbout all the A List crew guys that are out of work just in the past 60 days (and how many of them picked up their lives and moved to Indiana for the same paycheck).... And then there would be no need to send their money over here at all?

The only "us against them" in this whole thing needs to be team against team.. We don't want to alienate ourselves out of this picture due to nationalistic beliefs that make those that are interested in playing in our sandbox so uncomfortable that not only do they take their ball and go home, they pick up the sand, the box and all the kids on the playground too...

Correct me if I'm wrong but what product or company does Al-Anabi represent? Thought so.
I think it’s just the Sheik that wants to make a mark in the sport that is very popular in his country. I see this as nothing but positives all the way around.
Promoting the sport we all enjoy to markets that would have never been possible before it will possibly bring in more potential sponsors.
If I was in the market for a sponsor the first place I would go is the Dubai Government and go to their promotional depart to promote their tourism which they are trying to promote very hard and seem to spare no expense.
If you never been I highly recommend it it's really a beautiful place as long as you abide by their laws! ;)
It's a great big world out there America is a great country but until you have had the privilege to travel abroad there are lot of other awesome places to put down roots.

Curious, how many here would actually turn down money that was from another country and did not appear to be ill-gotten booty?

I know I would jump to get it in a heart beat!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back