Another reason for the "Perfect Storm" of Top Fuel Exodus. (1 Viewer)

George
If this is the attitude all competitors took the attitude that one team will win all the time then they should stay home. The reasons why the car counts will be low this year has nothing to do with one car dominating a class, if this was the fact then funny car would have dried up in the 90's because of Force/Coil. Every dog has his day, the only way you are ever going to be on the top is show up and make as many laps as you can and learn at your own pace and hope the money holds out. Johnson can be beaten, he is just a man. Now I understand he is a very smart and talented man, but again just a man. If someone would put their resources behind another group and get the right mix of people they would give Johnson a run for the money. It can be done. Hopefully we all can remember that if will pull together as a country we can overcome any hardship placed before us. Now is a time of correction do not count drag racers out, they are some of the most resourceful and resilient people I have ever seen in my life. Keep the faith and have a happy new year.
Allen Meyer

Allen, I read George's post at work earlier this morning and was going to reply to it as soon as I got home, but you stole my thunder. You said almost word for word what I was going to write.

The only other thing I can say to George is...

Being the Dixon fan I am, I'm sure you could image how frustrated I got every time Larry raced the Army car. Larry would always leave real well, only to have the Army dragster blow by him at half track. However, do I think Alan Johnson is good for the sport? Absolutely!!! Al Anabi aside, AJ gives something for the other teams to shoot for. He can be beat. Kenny Bernstein won the 2001 championship back when AJ was tuning Scelzi's Winston dragster. So he can be beat. Obviously I'm pulling for Dixon next year, but look out for the US Tobacco team. Donnie Bender just keeps getting better and better and Massey is dynamite at the tree. Look for Bernstein and Schumacher to do well too. Winners don't forget how to win. If those teams (and sponsors) were to take a defeatist attitude, then they might as well stay home as Allen just said. JMHO

My oppinion on dominating crew chiefs is that when you get a crew chiefs who makes a car win all the time he has obviously found something the other teams havent , the other teams need to get off there butts and find out what that is and make themselves run better . I think whit bazemore said it best a few years back when some of the chevy teams were complaining about the windtunnel work they were doing on Bazemores funny car . He said "In this team we put money back into the car before we spend it on ourselves"

Allen, I read George's post at work earlier this morning and was going to reply to it as soon as I got home, but you stole my thunder. You said almost word for word what I was going to write.

Being the Dixon fan I am, I'm sure you could image how frustrated I got every time Larry raced the Army car. Larry would always leave real well, only to have the Army dragster blow by him at half track. However, do I think Alan Johnson is good for the sport? Absolutely!!! Al Anabi aside, AJ gives something for the other teams to shoot for. He can be beat. Kenny Bernstein won the 2001 championship back when AJ was tuning Scelzi's Winston dragster. So he can be beat. Obviously I'm pulling for Dixon next year, but look out for the US Tobacco team. Donnie Bender just keeps getting better and better and Massey is dynamite at the tree. Look for Bernstein and Schumacher to do well too. Winners don't forget how to win. If those teams (and sponsors) were to take a defeatist attitude, then they might as well stay home as Allen just said. JMHO

Kenny won the Championship that year because Blaine passed away at Indy.
If memory serves me right Blaine had a decent lead on Kenny before that unfortunate day. :(
It took Kenny a few races before he got the lead.
I believe Blaine would have won that year and every other Championship that Alan won with the other drivers.

Wow... when did AJ become Superman??? :rolleyes:

Car hasn't even made a pass yet, and not only has he been given the jacket and the big check, he has killed the sport as we know it... ;)

How about we wait for Pomona before we just back the Wally truck up to Al-Anabi's shop?

Damn it Martin, there you ruining another Internet rumor!:p

If memory serves me right Blaine had a decent lead on Kenny before that unfortunate day. :(
I believe Blaine would have won that year and every other Championship that Alan won with the other drivers.

I referring to the Kenny's "2001" championship, NOT his 1996 one. Scelzi was the reigning champion going into the 2001 season and Kenny dethroned him. Scelzi's 2000 championship was his third with AJ.

It really doesn't shock me to see the amount of flaming here on this site. Sometimes I overestimate the intelligence of some members and it shouldn't surprise me that my avatar is now a source of judgement.
Sad....

Everybody here has missed my point.
Obviously I did not state my opinion well, for that I apologize.
This has nothing to do with the racers, their winning/losing attitudes, or the teams feeling beaten.. I'm not interested in John Force, or any other inspirational cliche's about winning or the little train that could. This is about business, not drag racing. It's about ROI for the sponsor.
I guess we can argue that both cars need to line up before we declare a winner, but I think we all know what team would garner most bets to win.

The question I am trying to present is this:
Why should any corporation invest in NHRA Top Fuel during these challenging times? If you believe your chances of matching the wallet and expertise of AJ, then by all means, invest into a team. I don't see it happening and I see it as a major deterant for some of our old stand by sponsors that have dearly departed the NHRA. Nobody wants to invest millions without a chance of winning consistantly and having a shot to win a championship.. I'm sure it wasn't heartbreaking for CAT t have left have left the NHRA partly for these reasons.
I just don't see competitive racing happening in TF with AJ, ESPECIALLY in 1000' racing.. Sorry..

I have already presented some of my opinions of reasons why some old time sponsors may not re-up. There are other forms of advertisement avenues that will perform a better ROI than going up against a stacked deck in Top Fuel, especially when boring 1000' is in play..

This is just my thoughts.

Last edited:

You're thinking of 1996.

George
If this is the attitude all competitors took the attitude that one team will win all the time then they should stay home. The reasons why the car counts will be low this year has nothing to do with one car dominating a class, if this was the fact then funny car would have dried up in the 90's because of Force/Coil. Every dog has his day, the only way you are ever going to be on the top is show up and make as many laps as you can and learn at your own pace and hope the money holds out. Johnson can be beaten, he is just a man. Now I understand he is a very smart and talented man, but again just a man. If someone would put their resources behind another group and get the right mix of people they would give Johnson a run for the money. It can be done. Hopefully we all can remember that if will pull together as a country we can overcome any hardship placed before us. Now is a time of correction do not count drag racers out, they are some of the most resourceful and resilient people I have ever seen in my life. Keep the faith and have a happy new year.
Allen Meyer

Great Post Allen!!

See ya in a couple of weeks,

Nancy

It may only be a tiny drop in the bucket but, at least those are millions that are making their way BACK to this country. I hope the guy's buddies over there take interest and follow him. Those dollars are going to get blown on something, I'm sure. Might as well be here.

I've never owned a foreign car but, everything I wear is made in the same places as everything on your bodies. Like I've heard Bruce Williams say many times, the American consumer has the loyalty of an alley cat in heat.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I wish drag racing had never allowed itself to be advertiser dependent. At least not the cars, themselves. Now that they are, they might as well get the money wherever they can. Now's the time to hold something up as being sacred? :rolleyes: It's a little late for that.

I have a customer who owns a small injection molding company. He came in the shop one day to pick up some parts for his 69 Camaro and made a remark about the Made in Tiawan sticker. He said to tell my next customer that came in b****ing about high gas prices that this made overseas junk was the reason why--we have propped up their economy in the name of cheap goods. You are right about the American consumer--no loyalty at all. And to quote an infamous preacher "America's chickens have come home to roost":mad:

As long as I have been watching drag racing, somebody has always dominated--there is always another Garlits, Force, Bernstein, AJ, WJ, or somebody waiting in the wings with a better mouse trap. It is only a matter of time.

What the hell is wrong with Rob Zombie?
Musical Artist and now Movie Director he is very intellectual if you ever get the chance to speak to him!
Your post doesn't speak well for your own intellegence......:cool:

Thanks for that post Bob. I also am a fan of Rob Zombie~~~

It doesn't really matter where the money comes from. Any boob with enough money can buy a race ready Top Fuel car. Doesn't mean he knows how to start it! If you don't have the smarts to hire the right people it makes no difference where the money comes from.

With regard to buying American made products.....go clothes shopping as see how hard it is to buy clothing that's actually made in America. Damn near impossible!

As was already stated, at least the oil money is coming to the US instead of the other way for a change. More power to 'em.

If our industries are tightening up, which they obviously are, should motorsports marketing be looking at the Middle East and other places in the world where our dollars ARE going? I'm pretty sure this guy found Alan Johnson instead of the other way around. Apparently, that's a guy who can drop $50 million without expecting a return on investment. Is anyone sending proposals to overseas companies that sell us products without having offices here?

Thanks for that post Bob. I also am a fan of Rob Zombie~~~

I may be showing my age here, but who's Rob Zombie? I remember the 60s band called "The Zombies". Would that be Rod Argent with a different name??? :confused:

I'm a fan of '50s B-movies and George's avatar looks like something out of "Plan 9 From Outer Space." :D

With regard to buying American made products.....go clothes shopping as see how hard it is to buy clothing that's actually made in America. Damn near impossible!

A very good friend of mine recently went to by his annual pair of Red Wing Shoes. He was apalled to find out they are not made in America any longer. That was one of the main reasons he spent the money on them specifically in the first place--and they aren't cheap.

I may be showing my age here, but who's Rob Zombie? I remember the 60s band called "The Zombies". Would that be Rod Argent with a different name??? :confused:

I'm a fan of '50s B-movies and George's avatar looks like something out of "Plan 9 From Outer Space." :D

Hey Leebone, I don't think the Brew Brothers will be covering any Rob Zombie tunes any time soon! :eek::D

Murdock.

...Let the boy Boogie-Woogie....!

Happy New Year George!

Last edited:
I remember AJs last team ownership with Toyota bodies and Gary then Bruce (rip) driving and I can't remember his dominance there. Is it a guarantee that nobody will out perform AJ this time around?

One round at a time.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back