Another reason for the "Perfect Storm" of Top Fuel Exodus. (1 Viewer)

George.

Nitro Member
The Al-Anabi thing brings in the final element of everything that's wrong in Top Fuel.

Just what American company even wants to compete next to foreign team?
It's not Miller Brewery vs. Bud, or Chevy vs. Ford.
It's financed oil greed vs. American struggles.
It's the best vs. underfunded and outmatched. There isn't even an "underdog" to sell because everybody respects Alan and loves Larry.
Just what is there to gain by getting your face smashed in by a foreign financed team who is headed by arguably the best tuner to ever pick up a wrench?
Name any team, and look at the negative exposure to be had when an Arab blows you into the weeds time after time...
I'm sorry, but it's true. Just how do you sell that?
There are just too many avenues other than the NHRA for a sponsor to invest in to get a positive result

Alan Johnson will dominate because of an open check book, and ofcourse "him", I think the odds favor that, so just what American company who looks at the landscape in Top Fuel this year sees anything positive to invest in?

In this case, I feel it's the ultimate sell out. I can't completely fault Johnson because after all, it's a business, but I do see this as everything gone wrong in what is one of America's greatest home grown assets, NHRA Drag Racing.

Last edited:
It may only be a tiny drop in the bucket but, at least those are millions that are making their way BACK to this country. I hope the guy's buddies over there take interest and follow him. Those dollars are going to get blown on something, I'm sure. Might as well be here.

I've never owned a foreign car but, everything I wear is made in the same places as everything on your bodies. Like I've heard Bruce Williams say many times, the American consumer has the loyalty of an alley cat in heat.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I wish drag racing had never allowed itself to be advertiser dependent. At least not the cars, themselves. Now that they are, they might as well get the money wherever they can. Now's the time to hold something up as being sacred? :rolleyes: It's a little late for that.

Last edited:
We had this hanging around the house when my kids used to wrestle in elementary/jr/sr high. I think it's appropriate here.

If you think you are beaten, you are.
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you like to win but think you can't
It is almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you're lost.
For out of the world we find
Success begins with a fellows' will.
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are.
You've got to think high to rise;
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man;
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the man who thinks he can.

Author Unknown

We had this hanging around the house when my kids used to wrestle in elementary/jr/sr high. I think it's appropriate here.

If you think you are beaten, you are.
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you like to win but think you can't
It is almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you're lost.
For out of the world we find
Success begins with a fellows' will.
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are.
You've got to think high to rise;
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man;
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the man who thinks he can.

Author Unknown

Rance McDaniel used to have a saying "Those who think they can, and those who think they Can't are BOTH right"

I really don't think the Al-Anabi Team has anything to do with ANY of the TF/FC teams being parked. I they have the money to come over hear and race, let them. Had they not put together a team, we would have one less full time touring team out there.

The Al-Anabi thing brings in the final element of everything that's wrong in Top Fuel.

It's the best vs. underfunded and outmatched. There isn't even an "underdog" to sell because everybody respects Alan and loves Larry.
Just what is there to gain by getting your face smashed in by a foreign financed team who is headed by arguably the best tuner to ever pick up a wrench?
Name any team, and look at the negative exposure to be had when an Arab blows you into the weeds time after time...
There are just too many avenues other than the NHRA for a sponsor to invest in to get a positive result

Alan Johnson will dominate because of an open check book, and ofcourse "him", I think the odds favor that, so just what American company who looks at the landscape in Top Fuel this year sees anything positive to invest in?

In this case, I feel it's the ultimate sell out. I can't completely fault Johnson because after all, it's a business, but I do see this as everything gone wrong in what is one of America's greatest home grown assets, NHRA Drag Racing.

ANYONE THAT WOULD HAVE ROB ZOMBIE AS THEIR AVATAR CAN'T BE TOO SMART ANYWAY.
:mad:

Bwahahahahaha!!!! This has to be one of the most laughable posts I've seen here in a very long time. First of all, Miller is a foreign company, and if you hadn't read the papers in the last year, so is Bud. This economy is so out of whack right now, and it's not all because of foreign "oil greed", much of it is due to our own homegrown greed. Companies aren't going to invest in ancillary projects such as sponsorships until the market correction is complete and things have stabilized. It has nothing to do with the "fear" of Alan Johnson and a foreign sponsor.

Wow... when did AJ become Superman??? :rolleyes:

Car hasn't even made a pass yet, and not only has he been given the jacket and the big check, he has killed the sport as we know it... ;)

How about we wait for Pomona before we just back the Wally truck up to Al-Anabi's shop?

UUMMMM.. did Santa miss your house?.....

Billy

It may only be a tiny drop in the bucket but, at least those are millions that are making their way BACK to this country. I hope the guy's buddies over there take interest and follow him. Those dollars are going to get blown on something, I'm sure. Might as well be here.

I've never owned a foreign car but, everything I wear is made in the same places as everything on your bodies. Like I've heard Bruce Williams say many times, the American consumer has the loyalty of an alley cat in heat.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I wish drag racing had never allowed itself to be advertiser dependent. At least not the cars, themselves. Now that they are, they might as well get the money wherever they can. Now's the time to hold something up as being sacred? :rolleyes: It's a little late for that.

I hate to break it to but if you own a Chevy,Ford or Mopar in a sense it's foreign made! ;)
A Toyota is more American than most of them....

I'm sorry George, I just don't think you've made the case.
Why is it when someone else makes a nickel it's invariably called "greed?" Yet when we do it we call it making a living. I know no one who works entirely without compensation.
American companies routinely compete in contests with foreigners. Think Corvettes at LeMans, though they'll not be there this year. There are countless examples.
Frankly, I'm happy to see foreign involvement in our sport especially when it comes from a part of the world that will benefit from a peek at what life is like after the 7th Century. I've had a number of Arab students and have known several Americans of Arab descent. A few were jerks, but I am proud to call four of my Arab descended acquaintances friends.
I do agree with you that domination of any category can reduce fan interest and may dissuade some competitors who haven't the resources to keep up. I think we should wait and see whether Alan Johnson's abilities and Al-Anabi's support result in a dominating season for Larry Dixon. That might happen and, if it does, I'm betting a lot of fans will be pulling for someone to upset them. It's the American way. We like to root for the underdog.
Who wasn't inspired by Tim Wilkerson's masterful run this year?
Cheers.

Middle Eastern countries are starting to feel the impact from the global situation trust me on this one!
From $150 a barrel to currently $40 with a projected price of $25 in 2009 not a good forcast is it?
I agree foriegn investment is whats keeping our economy from completely tanking.
China is the biggest investor and carring a large portion of our debt, behind them it's Japan then Saudi Arabia so I wouldn't complain if they want to throw some disposable cash our sports way.

Last edited:
ANYONE THAT WOULD HAVE ROB ZOMBIE AS THEIR AVATAR CAN'T BE TOO SMART ANYWAY.
:mad:

What the hell is wrong with Rob Zombie?
Musical Artist and now Movie Director he is very intellectual if you ever get the chance to speak to him!
Your post doesn't speak well for your own intellegence......:cool:

George
If this is the attitude all competitors took the attitude that one team will win all the time then they should stay home. The reasons why the car counts will be low this year has nothing to do with one car dominating a class, if this was the fact then funny car would have dried up in the 90's because of Force/Coil. Every dog has his day, the only way you are ever going to be on the top is show up and make as many laps as you can and learn at your own pace and hope the money holds out. Johnson can be beaten, he is just a man. Now I understand he is a very smart and talented man, but again just a man. If someone would put their resources behind another group and get the right mix of people they would give Johnson a run for the money. It can be done. Hopefully we all can remember that if will pull together as a country we can overcome any hardship placed before us. Now is a time of correction do not count drag racers out, they are some of the most resourceful and resilient people I have ever seen in my life. Keep the faith and have a happy new year.
Allen Meyer

To the original poster , you do realise that the big allmighty multi time world champ JOHN FORCE is Sponsored by an english company right yes Castrol is british . An yet you are saying that foreign companies are a bad thing , man its going to be 2009 soon we are in a time of global society where every country in the world pretty much has somebody from every country in the world living in it .

I no the real reason for your post it was flaming obvious the way you singled out the word "Arab" , sure some of them are bad people but you don't prejudise them all for the actions of a few . I have read posts like this before man where people say " Oh its disrespectfull to the troops" ,The troops should have respect anyway they are just doing what they are paid to do and I can't even imagine the horrors they see in war and have to live with afterwards .

With the way things are at the moment it would be silly to turn away money from anybody who is willing to help just because of race .

I hate to break it to but if you own a Chevy,Ford or Mopar in a sense it's foreign made! ;)
A Toyota is more American than most of them....

I've never owned a new car either so, how much do I matter? All I do is help keep the used "American car" market propped up. :D

It may be nothing more than symbolism by now but, the vast majority of my friends drive only U.S. badges. I just couldn't have one of those things in my driveway, much less get in it as the owner.

Am I the only one? If I do get in someone's foreign car as a passenger, I don't tell them what I really think about it? :) (again, while every item on my body was made somewhere else. I won't argue that it's a very short pedestal, LOL)

I've never owned a new car either so, how much do I matter? All I do is help keep the used "American car" market propped up. :D

It may be nothing more than symbolism by now but, the vast majority of my friends drive only U.S. badges. I just couldn't have one of those things in my driveway, much less get in it as the owner.

Am I the only one? If I do get in someone's foreign car as a passenger, I don't tell them what I really think about it? :) (again, while every item on my body was made somewhere else. I won't argue that it's a very short pedestal, LOL)

There is nothing wrong with owning good old American metal Ron when it was truely an American made vehicle. :D
I have a 65' Falcon and Ranchero I just can't bring myself to get rid of on the other side of the coin I own some of what you would peg foreign but they were actually built in this country and a gem from Italy.;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back