Anderson Powers to No 1 Position on Friday in Charlotte (1 Viewer)

Event: 2nd annual VisitMyrtleBeach.com 4-Wide NHRA Nationals

Day/Date: Friday, April 15, 2011

Greg Anderson and the Summit Racing team responded to the challenges presented by the unique four-wide format of the VisitMyrtleBeach.com 4-Wide NHRA Nationals by recording the quickest pass of the day, claiming the provisional No. 1 position midway through qualifying. After opening with a very quick 6.600-second, 210.24 mph pass on his opening attempt at zMAX Dragway, the Mooresville resident came back in the second session to blast through the quarter-mile in 6.566-seconds with a speed of 210.37 mph, one hundredth of a second quicker than his KB Racing teammate Jason Line, who placed second with a 6.576-second, 210.77 mph pass.

“I’m extremely pleased with my Summit Racing Pontiac’s performance today,” said Anderson. “Obviously, we had a good test here at zMAX Dragway a few weeks ago and we’re applying what we learned then, as well as what we gained from our last race in Vegas. We definitely made a lot of right moves this week, which is a tribute to my KB Racing team.

“They put their heads together and came up with a great game plan, which has worked so far, and I’m fairly happy with my performance as a driver. I staged the car properly and left the starting line without any issues, so now I can work on improving my reaction times for race day. All in all, I’d consider Day 1 at the 4-Wide Nationals a success.”

Anderson also addressed the numerous challenges presented by racing four cars simultaneously, including the redesigned starting line Christmas Tree and running in four distinct lanes.

“The revised tree is definitely a step forward, and seems a little less confusing than the system we used last year,” said Anderson. “At the same time, I personally find it a lot to take in, so I end up talking to myself trying to figure out what to do, as opposed to acting on instinct. It’s just that it’s new to us, and we’re getting better – it’s just going to take a little time. Still, it’s definitely better, as you can see by the fewer mistakes being made. Once we get used to it, it should be fine.

“The track was a little green on the first run, but got a little bit better for the second session, and I expect it will get even better as the weekend goes on. When you have four lanes, you have half the number of cars going down each one, so it takes a little longer to put rubber on it. By Sunday, it should be very good.

“I also hope that the forecast for tomorrow is wrong and we get to run. I love going down the racetrack and learning, and the more the better so we can apply it to our Summit Racing Pontiac for race day. I certainly want to hold on to the No. 1 position, but I want to do it the right way, with four shots at the track.”

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back