Amnesty Vote delayed (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
Reid moves Amnesty vote from WED to next MON night

All of your calls and faxes are helping to block the amnesty deal.

Senate Majority Leader Reid (D-Nev.) had insisted that he would force an amnesty vote Wednesday morning in an attempt to push everybody to come to an agreement.

But the negotiations broke down again tonight and it was clear that the amnesty vote would have lost tomorrow.

Reid says there is a lot of progress and he hopes the White House, Sen. Kennedy (D-Mass.) and Sen. Kyl (R-AZ) will agree to the details of the amnesty by next Monday night.

And Senate Minority Leader McConnell (R-KY) is saying tonight that negotiations continue tomorrow and that he is very hopeful the amnesty will come together by Monday.

So, we have our work cut out for us.

For now, we at NumbersUSA are going to get a good night's sleep.

We will get back to you tomorrow on next steps that need to be taken.

I understand from the GOP debate tonight on TV that Sen. McCain (R-Ariz.) again reminded us all why this country is in such a mess on immigration -- the ability of major political figures to do a combination of massive lying and self-deception. McCain was the author of last year's bill that would have given permanent residence to nearly all illegal aliens, but he said tonight that he has never supported amnesty! As Rosemary testified, the bill that McCain has pushed has the same basic outline as the bill in 1986 that everybody agrees WAS an amnesty!

-- ROY BECK NumbersUSA
------------------------------------------------------------------------
You had the momentum all weekend -- Fri-Sun had amnesty crowd on the run
DEAR AMNESTY-KILLERS
What a weekend! Let's carry the political explosions right on through today.

I hope the report below inspires you to more action. We can beat this amnesty. Maybe tonight. If not tonight, at one of four or five other chokepoints.

Our Action Buffet Team on Sunday was sending you Alerts about new fax and phone opportunities -- and will be adding more to your action corkboards throughout today. Please don't stop the pressure. It truly is having an effect. We need both faxing and phone calls.

I told you Thursday night that we had only a remote possibility of beating the amnesty in the Senate but a good shot in the House if we all worked hard. Now, the Washington Times comes out early this morning with a headcount that finds 17 Senators announcing their support for the amnesty and 17 Senators announcing their opposition and the rest not willing to publicly commit. YOUR OPPOSITION SO FAR IS CREATING AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A POLITICAL MIRACLE. Read at bottom of this email for more details from the Times survey of all 100 Senators.

Georgia media reported that the state's two U.S. Senators were greeted at a Republican convention over the weekend by hundreds of lime-green NumbersUSA flyers declaring that “Sen. Isakson and Sen. Chambliss stand with Kennedy for largest amnesty in history.” The Republican Senators were booed, hissed and challenged as they tried to explain why they stood with Sen. Kennedy (D-Mass.) last week in announcing the comprehensive amnesty compromise bill.

NumbersUSA actually had nothing to do with the flyers but we lift up the ingenuity of whomever did have responsibility for making good use of one of our Action Alerts and increasing its influence. We encourage similar actions in other states if you have a Senator with the slightest inclination to vote for this amnesty.

Presidential hopeful Sen. McCain (R-Ariz.) and his acolyte, Sen. Graham (R-S.C.), were booed in South Carolina Saturday because of their leadership in creating the giant Kennedy/Bush amnesty bill announced on Thursday. They made the mistake of trying to defend their amnesty support.

The same Carolina Republican convention cheered when another Presidential hopeful, Mitt Romney (R-Mass.), stated without equivocation that the grand immigration compromise up for a vote tonight is an amnesty because it allows illegal aliens to remain in the U.S. indefinitely -- and that: "One simple rule: No amnesty."

South Carolina analysts already say that perhaps the most significant shift in the state has been Romney overtaking McCain in the polls. Romney has announced TV ads to focus voters even further on his opposition to McCain's amnesty efforts. Major newpapers are reporting more signs of other potential candidates like Fred Thompson (R-Tenn.) and Newt Gingrich (R-GA) trying to catch up with the successful no-amnesty campaigning of Romney and of the three Congressmen with a long anti-amnesty record, Ron Paul (R-Texas), Tom Tancredo (R-Colo.) and Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.).

Sen. Kyl (R-Ariz.) was under seige from Arizona's Republican leaders and citizens outraged by his leadership on the amnesty so that he wrote a highly defensive op-ed that gave some hope that he might jump off the amnesty if it turns out to be much softer on future illegal immigration than he had thought.

I would like to see some stories or reports of examples of more in-person encounters with other Senators from other states. You know that after encountering a booing, most politicians find ways to be a little less aggressive on that issue.

Thus far this weekend, 9,948 Americans have joined NumbersUSA as brand new activists against the new amnesty bill. And 22,802 have joined our faxing/phoning brigade since the first of this month. Since Jan. 1 of this year, 99,706 Americans have become part of our mobilized network of citizens attempting to counter the power of the special elite interests over Congress.

Our total activist membership is now above 325,000 and our total email list now exceeds 1.4 million. (BTW, we never share, rent or sell any email addresses. We use them solely to spread immigration education among the public, with hopes that they will take citizen actions either through our tools or on their own.)

A much wider coalition of grassroots groups is making defeat of the Kennedy/Bush amnesty a top priority this week. In the past, immigration groups like our own had to fight these battles alone (sometimes with the assistance of talk radio). But we are getting great assistance from large politically conservative organizations, especially aggressive actions from the Heritage Foundation. And later today, there will be a beginning daily meeting of the conservative coalition that forced the withdrawal of the Supreme Court nomination of Pres. Bush's lawyer and friend Harriet Meyers. This is a coalition that has experienced a grassroots rebellion that caused a political miracle in defeating a pet project of the White House.

All of you who move in more liberal, centrist or Democratic circles, please look for ways to emulate the conservative backlash to this amnesty. We are seeing some good help from individual liberals and environmentalist who are using blogs and email lists to spread the message of how this amnesty would harm the U.S. environment and the most vulnerable of American workers and their families. But we could use more institutional help. Let us know.

The pro-amnesty Washington Post ran a weekend story indicating that the White House has been met with a firestorm of resistance throughout the country to its immigration plan. And the Washington Times ran a story Sunday with the headline: "Illegals bill sinks Bush job approval." A new Rasmussen poll found Pres. Bush's approval rating dropped to an all-time low for that poll, at 34 percent. "The president's ratings have tumbled each time immigration reform dominates the news," Scott Rasmussen said. His polling last year, after Mr. Bush gave an Oval Office address laying out his plans for more border enforcement and giving illegal aliens a path to citizenship, found only 39 percent supported the president's position.

KEY PROCEDURAL VOTE ON AMNESTY SCHEDULED FOR MONDAY NIGHT

Senate Majority Leader Reid (D-Nev.) currently has scheduled a cloture vote after 5:30 this afternoon.

Because he is trying to rush an amnesty bill through the Senate without having it debated, amended or passed by a committe, Reid needs 60 of the 100 Senate votes tonight to allow him to bring the amnesty bill to the floor for debate the rest of the week.

It is so very important that you take all actions related to Senators as soon as possible today. Do it in time to influence this vote.

We are giving you special talking points to try to get Democrats to decide that rushing a giant bill like this violates promises the Democrats made in winning the majority. They indicated they weren't going to be involved in secret deals, or forcing bills through without proper time to study them, or passing bills without knowing their fiscal costs and how those costs would be covered.

By being the handmaiden of the Bush Administration on this bill, the Democratic leaders are missing the mark on all those promises. The bill hasn't even been "scored" by the Congressional Budget Office as to how many billions of dollars it will cost the government each year. And the language of the bill was made available to Senators only late Saturday night.

We will be adding the votes tonight to our Immigration Grade Cards as soon as possible. We regard a vote for cloture tonight as a vote for amnesty.

WHERE DO THE SENATORS STAND?

Stephen Dinana of the Washington Times "whipped" the Senate offices and came up with the following conclusion:

Fewer than 20 senators are publicly committed to supporting the immigration deal that hits the Senate floor today while nearly 40 are already opposed or have serious concerns, underscoring how difficult it will be for President Bush and his allies to craft a coalition that can pass the bill.

A Washington Times survey of Senate offices and public comments after the deal was announced Thursday found an additional 32 senators who said they cannot even take a position yet -- a result of the fact that the deal was written in secret by a dozen senators and the Bush administration, wasn't even finalized until yesterday and still hasn't reached many Senate offices.

"I did not agree to any immigration deal and was not part of the negotiations," said Sen. Jim Bunning, Kentucky Republican and a likely opponent. "From what I have heard about the bill, it gives amnesty to the estimated 12.5 million illegal immigrants in this country."

Senators will be asked to make their first vote on the measure today, on whether to begin debating the bill. It will require 60 votes to pass, and leaders of both parties are urging their members to vote for it, so the debate can at least begin.

Opposition comes from the left and the right -- and both sides are vowing to offer amendments to try to move the bill. What is not clear is whether the two sides will be willing to team up to scuttle the bill.

The Times survey found 17 senators supporting the current bill and another two who lean toward supporting it; 17 who oppose it; 22 who have concerns; and 32 senators who are still reviewing it. Nine senators' positions couldn't be determined, and Sen. Tim Johnson, South Dakota Democrat, has been absent all year because of a medical situation.

We need 41 votes tonight to put this amnesty proposal to rest.

It will be difficult to kill it on this vote because many opponents of the bill still think it ought to have the opportunity to be debated.

The Times did not share its actual list, so we don't know which Senators have given strong agreement with one side or another.

TAKE INTEREST SURVEY
http://numbersusa.com/survey?action=longlist

Make sure you don't miss out on some of the activism because you haven't registered your interests.

Please go to our Interest Survey page and fill out some of your interests -- especially on political identification -- so you can be in on some of our more specialized action opportunities.

THANKS FOR ALL YOU CAN DO,

-- ROY

I heard this over the weekend!
This bill includes a paragraph that actually says if an applicant files for the z card the government agency in charge has to vett the applicant and return the application within 48 hours or it is automatically granted.
Thats faster than snail mail even moves.
Talk about a giveaway !
The Dem's want to block the Gop from having any say so on amending or bringing anything to the floor after the Republicans used a procedure on them that the Dem's used on the Republicans in the past.
Result may be an impasse. Thank God I wish they would pass the funding bill w/o the ear marks and go home till Oct.
They are positively whacked out.
What happened congress get kidnapped and foreign agents are running around the halls.
No I know they are not in touch with reality. At least some of them are getting more vocal.

Last edited:
Something I happen to know about the senators from my state is they tend to respond more seriously to physical snail mail letters than they do email.

This "amnesty" or whatever you want to call it is in my opinion an insult to everybody. The way I see it we all lose if we allow this to pass.

The extra few minutes to print an email on paper, and stuff an envelope and put a stamp on it are a small price to oay to get your word heard, whatever you opinion on this may be.

A phone call to the local office is a good thing to do as well. If each person who cares enough to make the effort sent an email, a regular mail, and made a phone call you can pretty much triple you opinion.

The extra few minutes to print an email on paper, and stuff an envelope and put a stamp on it are a small price to oay to get your word heard, whatever you opinion on this may be.

A phone call to the local office is a good thing to do as well. If each person who cares enough to make the effort sent an email, a regular mail, and made a phone call you can pretty much triple you opinion.

That's what the organizations I belong to do, but the phone calls are up to the individual.

I called barbara boxer and diane feinstein's office today to see where they stand on the illegal alien amnesty bill.

boxer's office said that she had not seen the bill and she won'tt have an opinion on the matter until she has a chance to completely review it. This response seemed pretty chickensh!t to me and I told the person at the other end that I will be watching boxer's position on this closely and remember how she voted on it next time she is up for election.

feinstein's office said she fully supports the bill as it will strengthen our National Security. I asked why do we need to pass more laws to fight illegal immigration when our existing laws are not being enforced. The spokeshole at the other end of the phone went on to say that this will strengthen existing laws, blah, blah, blah. She also said that we rely on the immigrants for certain sectors of the labor market that the US workers can't fill. I told her that before we start relying on illegal aliens, why don't we use prison labor to work the fields. she said she would pass this onto the senator. I followed up with how I will remember how feinstein votes on this next time she is up for election.

I called barbara boxer and diane feinstein's office today to see where they stand on the illegal alien amnesty bill.

boxer's office said that she had not seen the bill and she won'tt have an opinion on the matter until she has a chance to completely review it. This response seemed pretty chickensh!t to me and I told the person at the other end that I will be watching boxer's position on this closely and remember how she voted on it next time she is up for election.

feinstein's office said she fully supports the bill as it will strengthen our National Security. I asked why do we need to pass more laws to fight illegal immigration when our existing laws are not being enforced. The spokeshole at the other end of the phone went on to say that this will strengthen existing laws, blah, blah, blah. She also said that we rely on the immigrants for certain sectors of the labor market that the US workers can't fill. I told her that before we start relying on illegal aliens, why don't we use prison labor to work the fields. she said she would pass this onto the senator. I followed up with how I will remember how feinstein votes on this next time she is up for election.

I think I would have said, 'Just how stupid do you think the Senator's constituants are, giving me an answer like it will strengthen the laws?" That's a good one!

If you don't know what to say when writing your represenatatives

RE:* There Can Be NO COMPROMISE When It Comes To Amnesty for 12-20 Million Illegal Aliens

"It has come to my attention that Members of the Senate have negotiated a so-called “compromise immigration bill” that, if passed will grant amnesty to 12-20 million illegal aliens currently in the United States.* Moreover, this so-called compromise amnesty scam will do nothing but encourage more people to cross our nation’s borders illegally.

It is also my understanding that the Senate is planning to ram this amnesty legislation down the throats of the American people in a matter of days.*

Let me make it perfectly clear; the American people DO NOT WANT you to “compromise.”* The American people NEVER asked you for “compromise legislation.”* The entire concept of “compromise” – when it comes to granting Amnesty to 12-20 million illegal aliens -- is a fable dreamed up in the hallways and conference rooms of the Capitol and the newsrooms of the Washington Post and the New York Times.* When it comes to granting Amnesty to 12-20 million illegal aliens, there can be NO COMPROMISE.

I understand that the spin doctors are already at work trying to convince the American people that this isn’t an amnesty bill. But the American people know better. We are not going to be fooled by your back room deals and misleading rhetoric.

Amnesty was a bad idea last year and it's still a bad idea. The American people want secure borders and no amnesty for millions of illegal aliens.* Play political games with American sovereignty at your own political peril.

The American people know that it only takes 40 United States Senators to stop any bill from becoming law and patriotic Americans expect at least 40 of you to step up to the plate and do what ever it takes to protect this country."

Sincerely,

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back