Alexis (1 Viewer)

Randy

Nitro Member
Congrats to Alexis De Joria and her entire team. Came to Indy and did a great job. She bumped in shallow and still threw out a great light to take out the champ.

I had the opportunity to get to know Alexis when we ran her in TA/FC, specifically when we ran her for the first time in the finals at the 2009 Las Vegas Nationals when Bob Newberry was her crew chief. She came by my trailer the following weekend with a gift bottle of Taquila Patron and spent about 20 minutes talking about how her day is coming and how grateful she was to everyone for helping her with her dream of racing funny car. All this to say, the humble appreciative spirit you see and hear from her on TV in her interviews is how she is in real life.

I'm an Alexis fan.

Congrats to Alexis De Joria and her entire team. Came to Indy and did a great job. She bumped in shallow and still threw out a great light to take out the champ.

I had the opportunity to get to know Alexis when we ran her in TA/FC, specifically when we ran her for the first time in the finals at the 2009 Las Vegas Nationals when Bob Newberry was her crew chief. She came by my trailer the following weekend with a gift bottle of Taquila Patron and spent about 20 minutes talking about how her day is coming and how grateful she was to everyone for helping her with her dream of racing funny car. All this to say, the humble appreciative spirit you see and hear from her on TV in her interviews is how she is in real life.

I'm an Alexis fan.
i think she has the potential to do big things. we have a great group of young women in our sport now and they will all make waves. erica has the most raw talent and i think she could easily win a championship. alexis she seems to have the "fire in her belly. and thats what it takes to win. i dont sense that with courtney or brittany. but who knows. alexis was a little slow on the lights in the last couple of races and i was wondering if that was going to be a problem. but when she pulled a 37 on force i knew it was gonna be ok

Last edited:

I'm an Alexis fan.

I met her in '06 before she first got her license, she was with Robbie Knievil (sp?) in Mike Ashley's Hospitality and I saw this gal with Tatoos saying she was gonna go Nitro FC! I remember her first year in Alky FC she had an incident at Firebird in the shutdown with her chutes catching either another Racecar in the shutdown or the wall, not sure which. And I remember the rumblings on other message boards about Rich girl trying to play Dragracer! I do remember talkin to her at Seattle when she was teamed up with Jack O' Bannon and she told me she needed another year or two in Alcohol before trying Top Fuel, I admit I have been hard on her about her Reaction times, but she sure has paid her dues!

Last edited:
I met her in '06 before she first got her license, she was with Robbie Knievil (sp?) in Mike Ashley's Hospitality and I saw this gal with Tatoos saying she was gonna go Nitro FC! I remember her first year in Alky FC she had an incident at Firebird in the shutdown with her chutes catching either another Racecar in the shutdown or the wall, not sure which. And I remember the rumblings on other message boards about Rich girl trying to play Dragracer! She paid her dues I will admit!

We were at the end of the track at Firebird where it makes the turn when Alexis came around the corner. They directed her through the curved area where other TA/FC's were already stopped as she was slowing down and the wind kept her chutes open. I think it was Jason Rupert's TA/FC that her chute caught on but I may be wrong. It wasn't her fault and no one got mad at anyone.

The late Lou Gasparrelli told me about 20 years ago that "They come and they go" regarding rich people in drag racing. They show up with all new stuff, hire the best people, are real cocky about it at first and then get discouraged when they don't GET a Wally. He said a percentage (not all ) of the wealthier people that come out to play are used to buying whatever they want..."and Wally's aren't for sale...you have to win them." They last a couple years and then get discouraged because they haven't "GOT" a Wally. One day you notice they are gone. Come to find out, they sold everything and bought one of those 175' 4 story fishing boats.

I know Johnny Gray and Alexis very well and they are exactly the opposite of the Gasparrelli example. They know it takes hard work, talent...and yes, money, to win. But just having the resources won't do it. I can name several who are gone that were exactly as described by Lou, and you'd say "Ya, come to think of it where are they now?".

She had a great car and crew and took care of business. No jive-No drama just went out and knocked off some big names, it was clean I'm down with that and respect it. Nice seeing Conrad get some payoff so to speak after being in the sport so long and doing allot for it-good stuff ;):):D

I've got two little girls who really enjoy cheering for the female drivers. At the Finals last year one of my girls got to meet Alexis. She took time to talk to my daughter and take a photo. She's gold in my book. Congrats to her and her crew for a great win.

John Paul seems like a really cool dude. Glad Alexis, Kalitta and them won. She certainly put a driving job on John to win

Great to see her win! They had a few great post race pics ... definitely a non-conforming group of passonate racers!

Of course, my wife chimes in with, do you think they'll ever build a drag strip at Circuit of the Americas?

His talk on the track mic during the early rounds was cool. Along the lines of I'm not John Paul, I'm Alexis's dad and proud.

Plus the happy victory dance back to the truck after the win was cool.

His talk on the track mic during the early rounds was cool. Along the lines of I'm not John Paul, I'm Alexis's dad and proud.

Plus the happy victory dance back to the truck after the win was cool.

Yes, I really enjoyed hearing his excitement on the track mic.......and every round Alexis went, he was running, jumping and waving his hands right in front of the TEC. Great win!!

Last edited:
Good solid win, great team, and a deserving driver! I thought the best John Paul moment was how honestly proud and tickled he was by being recognized as Drag Racer Alexis DeJoria's dad instead of a billionaire hair care and spirits mogul

good stuff

I loved when John Paul said how humble Alexis is, but then said "BUT I`M NOT !!" and started dancing with Gary. That was fun to watch a proud Dad.
I also though Force showed some class. In his interview, he was bummed that he lost, but he gave Alexis credit on the .37 light that beat him, and how happy he was for Alexis, her Dad, and Husband. He mentioned that the sport needed women drivers.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back