Alcohol Warm-ups (1 Viewer)

Man some of those Alky FC's rev those things to like 9,000 it sounds like while seating the clutches!

The most infamous warmup ever in our family was from a young Tony Pedregon warming up his alcohol dragster at Columbus one year. My dad had been to divisional races where alcohol cars run recently, and had grown up watching nitro cars, so I guess he figured he didn't have to plug his hears. Tony revved it up on the jack stands a couple times and to this day my dad still says he hears less ever since that throttle whack.

Was that crew chief smoking a stogie?

Around all those volatile chemicals????

Am I missing something??????

Or am I overreacting???? :confused:

An inquiring mind wants to know.:)

Nitro is very difficult to ignite if it is not under compression, Also alcohol is tough to ignite compared to gasoline. I suspect one could throw lit cigars on nitro and not worry about it burning.
I remember back in the push start days if the weather was real cold they would put gasoline in the fuel lines to get the motor started and hope they would get enough heat in the motor before the nitro reached the cylinders so it would keep running.:)

Man some of those Alky FC's rev those things to like 9,000 it sounds like while seating the clutches!

Usually you rev it up to Launch RPM in warm up, it helps to know where the fuel/air ratio is and if any adjustments to the barrel valve or other areas are needed. Depending on the set up, it can range from 6000 to 7500 rpms (on the high side).

:) Have a Very Safe and Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Talk about unorganized!! Why the hell do they wait to paint the butterfly injectors until the car is at the track...... and with the motor running?? #1 who cares what color they are? And #2... can't that be done at the shop ahead of time? :D :p :D Great videos, thanks:)

Talk about unorganized!! Why the hell do they wait to paint the butterfly injectors until the car is at the track...... and with the motor running?? #1 who cares what color they are? And #2... can't that be done at the shop ahead of time? :D :p Great videos, thanks:)

I know! Every team, every time those cars run.;) Guess the paint dries faster at 260 mph.

I know when I videoed Harvanek's car, I had no ear plugs in. Too late!! held camera with right hand, plugged left ear with a finger.

Our owner/crew chief doesn't allow his drivers to whack the throttle on the stands, In fact the rpm is only brought to staging rpm once immediately before he gives the kill sign. I see no point in repeatedly beating on the throttle, Maybe our guys are just too old for that nonsense LOL.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back