AJ and Toyota? (1 Viewer)

Joker

Nitro Member
Just how much help does AJ give to Kalitta and Toyota or is it just Toyota? I am a big AJ guy, I mean, he's by far the best in my opinion but if I was Don Shoe I wouldnt take to kindly to my main braintrust helping another team at all regardless of why. I know AJ is the one who brought Toyota to funny car as its first crew chief and all that but it just makes me wonder. I mean, if I were Don it would have really chapped my ass today when the guy I pay to run my dragster helps a funny car team that winded up taking one of my cars out who has a chance at a championship. I am not sure how much AJ helps them, thats why I am asking, but everytime Toyota is mentioned they mention AJ's name also so I assume he has atleast a small significant role of some sort but is that only with Toyota?

Just how much help does AJ give to Kalitta and Toyota or is it just Toyota? I am a big AJ guy, I mean, he's by far the best in my opinion but if I was Don Shoe I wouldnt take to kindly to my main braintrust helping another team at all regardless of why. I know AJ is the one who brought Toyota to funny car as its first crew chief and all that but it just makes me wonder. I mean, if I were Don it would have really chapped my ass today when the guy I pay to run my dragster helps a funny car team that winded up taking one of my cars out who has a chance at a championship. I am not sure how much AJ helps them, thats why I am asking, but everytime Toyota is mentioned they mention AJ's name also so I assume he has atleast a small significant role of some sort but is that only with Toyota?
What's Don gonna do?...fire him?...ha ha!.

Tony, I am not saying that. That would be the dumbest move in drag racing history. I was just wondering how much he is really involved.

One of my alltime favorite TV commercials:

"Just how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop? ..... The world may never know"

??

And where does tolliver fit in with regards to the toyota dealio? He was interviewed on the race broadcast last night, does he have some development dollars invested?

AJ owns the Toyota mold. He designed the current body and he has a vested interest in the body. The entire Kalitta team runs AJ blocks, heads, manifolds, etc. He has helped his customers for years. He's not tuning their cars, but if someone is having trouble AJ will offer his guidance. That's not a conflict, it's just good customer service.

Alan

Thanks Alan, I just wanted to know what his exact involvement with Toyota was. I didnt think he was helping them tune the car.

Thanks Alan, I just wanted to know what his exact involvement with Toyota was. I didnt think he was helping them tune the car.

How much did AJ have to do with the body mods mentioned on the telecast that may have helped the car pick up some downforce? :confused: (Probably more than just a little bit....:rolleyes: )

Not all tuning takes place UNDER the hood.....:D

Everybody knows AJ is in the parts development/manufacturing business. He has helped out teams that run his parts for years. The one thing that is real clear is whatever team AJ is working for, like Salinas today, the parts on that car are the same as you can buy from him. Salinas does not have any parts advantage, his advantage is AJ as a tuner. Anything otherwise would be devastating for AJ's business.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back