8 Legends Return (1 Viewer)

should have fans pay $5 per chance to put their name/hometown, plus one of driver's names on a ticket that goes into huge lottery style cage.
fan keeps other half (think simple rip apart sequentially numbered tickets)
sell them thurs. thru 11am sunday. after each round draw two names.
after 1st round each winner gets toyota racing t-shirt and $100. if driver's name was winner, add $50
after 2nd round each winner gets toyota racing t-shirt and $200. if driver's name was winner, add $75
after final round each winner gets toyota racing t-shirt and $300. if driver's name was winner, add $100
winning fans must be present and claim prize within 5 minutes of drawing at tower/starting line/etc., must present winning ticket, valid ID, and valid GA and/or reserved ticket to claim prize.
would cost nhra $1200 for sure. possible additional $450 with winning drivers
1650 divide by 5 = 330 fans......over 4 days do you think 330 fans would pay $5 for this? how many fans would spend a $20 or more and enter multiple times?
would you stick around till the finals with a chance to win $300 or $400?.......i would.

should have fans pay $5 per chance to put their name/hometown, plus one of driver's names on a ticket that goes into huge lottery style cage.
fan keeps other half (think simple rip apart sequentially numbered tickets)
sell them thurs. thru 11am sunday. after each round draw two names.
after 1st round each winner gets toyota racing t-shirt and $100. if driver's name was winner, add $50
after 2nd round each winner gets toyota racing t-shirt and $200. if driver's name was winner, add $75
after final round each winner gets toyota racing t-shirt and $300. if driver's name was winner, add $100
winning fans must be present and claim prize within 5 minutes of drawing at tower/starting line/etc., must present winning ticket, valid ID, and valid GA and/or reserved ticket to claim prize.
would cost nhra $1200 for sure. possible additional $450 with winning drivers
1650 divide by 5 = 330 fans......over 4 days do you think 330 fans would pay $5 for this? how many fans would spend a $20 or more and enter multiple times?
would you stick around till the finals with a chance to win $300 or $400?.......i would.
What you been smokin? This is one of the dumbest ideas Ive heard in awhile!

Let's see...sitting around the table in a conference room on Financial Way in Glendora (next to a pretty nice golf course), the executives are puzzling over how to get 18 to 35-year-olds excited about drag racing. One offers, "let's put a bunch of 70-year-olds in family cars and have them race at one of our monument events! I know those vaping, cell phone addicted, inked up young'ns will come out in droves to witness this spectacular event!" The 70-year-olds in the board room nodded approvingly.

And that's what happens when NONE of the executives of the sanctioning body has any real racing experience. Or are even racing fans or "car guys." :(
The sad reality is the young'ns don't even know who those drivers are.

Oh, and 7 'til 70 here.... and still racing :)

Last edited:
hey, toyota is sponsoring this event. wouldn't it be nice if the bleachers were kind of full when they ran? if i was there, i wouldn't stick around to watch these 3 rounds. boring.
unless they run them between TF and FC....not saying this is the best idea, or even a good idea, but why not spend a couple bucks and give a sponsor (customer/toyota) more than they expected.
and thank you jerry, your comments are always appreciated.

Last edited:
someone at NHRA goofed and has shown WJ's pic instead of Terry......................front page of the website.
ub-shirley.jpg

The silhouette furthest to the right looks like Ace....there is no mistaking that big noggin!

We are in the last part of a space in time when we can pay live and literal homage to the very people that took drag racing from a backyard activity to a professional sporting venture. There was a space in time when baseball fans could see Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Jimmy Foxx, and other superstars, foundational super stars get on the field one last time. Don Garlits just turned 87 years old. Every person involved in this will never compete professionally again in a sport that they helped launch to heights even Wally Parks could have never imagined. No other American sport can give the people who really built their activity a send off like this in modern times. We can.

I get the criticism that this group of people does not appeal to the sensibilities of 20 year old kids. I also know that when you reach the golden milestone of an event's legacy, you celebrate it by looking over the scope of its history. You are going to see a different attitude and approach to concentrating as much star making horsepower on young talent in 2019 as we can.

Hell, we just shot an NHRA in 30 called "Great Aspirations" concentrating on the young movers and shakers in the sport in ways you've never seen them before.

There are few times in sport where someone can pinpoint the exact time and place you'll see something once and never again. That's what this is. To this point the Gatornationals have exceeded anyone's wildest expectations in pre-race fan commitments and engagement. People are coming to be part of a once in a lifetime deal and that's what they are going to get. This is one part of that.

Lastly, regarding the previous post to this one, yes. Garlits has a newly revised electric dragster and wouldn't be be something else if he could break 200mph in front of what will be one of the largest crowds in NHRA drag racing history? Stay tuned.

Brian

Last edited:
Oh yeah, just as an FYI, the NHRA will continue the program I helped to create a couple of years ago by brining in exhibitions for each race. No prep cars, small tire cars, no time grudge racers, etc. Effectively working with each track to bring a program to light that captures the trends in drag racing outside of the NHRA national event purview. This allows the track to promote the fact that they have cool stuff going on week in and week out at their facility and it also allows those racers who would not otherwise have a shot, the experience of hammering down a national event strip during the actual event.

It has been a great success and I hope it goes on for a very long time.

Brian

Brian, I hope your current high access and visibility continues. One of the problems of the current management is they couldn't be picked out in a line up by drag racing fans. That well dressed and coiffed guy I bumped into and spilled my Americano on at the Glendora Starbucks might have been an NHRA VP or something. How would I know?

Brian, I hope your current high access and visibility continues. One of the problems of the current management is they couldn't be picked out in a line up by drag racing fans. That well dressed and coiffed guy I bumped into and spilled my Americano on at the Glendora Starbucks might have been an NHRA VP or something. How would I know?

Well, for starters if you find me in a Starbucks, I'd be munching on that lemon cake stuff they have. I am not a coffee guy but I'd plow through a loaf of the lemon stuff.

I'm not going anywhere (at least I am not planning to) as far as the access and participatory part of life. I gotta be thoughtful as to what comes out of my mouth or fast little fingers on the keyboard but I love talking about drag racing and learning from everyone's opinions. I understand they will not always be favorable. Such is the nature of the business.

Brian

BL, the three hour BS session on Nomex Effect was awesome! .... everyone who's not to worried about everything said being perfectly PC should check it out (that applies to all of their podcasts .... very entertaining but this one and Shelly Payne's are stand outs).

If I were 20 years old right now and had the chance to see Garlits in action on the track, it would be a moment that would last me the rest of my life and something I'd want to tell my great-grandchildren about.

That is how I felt the first time I saw Garlits in person. Wow! Garlits! He is, in my opinion, the best Pro racer ever. And that is saying something with all the talent this sport has produced.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back