40 for 16 (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
This race was another shining example of why the 60's was the golden age of drag racing and not today's stuff as opined by a recent post by a columnist.

Th third annual New Year's day Funny Car Championships at Irwindale Raceway had 40 Funny Cars, 40, going for a 16-car show that paid $2000-to-win. The race was won by Charlie Allen.

TopFuel@Lions

This race was another shining example of why the 60's was the golden age of drag racing and not today's stuff as opined by a recent post by a columnist.

Th third annual New Year's day Funny Car Championships at Irwindale Raceway had 40 Funny Cars, 40, going for a 16-car show that paid $2000-to-win. The race was won by Charlie Allen.

TopFuel@Lions
As Alan always says, not arguing but just discussing. Mark it's kind of a waste to keep bringing up how great certain races were 50 or so years ago. The sport is 70 years old, it's changed a lot and will continue to. I believe "the columnist", or Bobby, was pointing out that there is a lot of good drag racing happening today, and I agree. I won't go through all of it because it's been discussed many times. My thought is, if you're taking the time to post on a site like this, that means you still have a passion for the sport. So I hope that while you, like most of us, miss a lot of what drag racing was like back then (not everything), you're enjoying some of "today's stuff" while we have it.

Just like the history stories on TV on world wars or history stories on drag racing like the ones mark post, people tend to forget just how BAD or GOOD things were.
Mark you have my vote.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter🤠

Mark,
$2000 in 1969 calculates to $14,675 today according to Google. How many would show up today for $15,000 to win?

Alan

Alan
I agree with you not many WOULD show up, but not many fuel cars are showing up today mainly the same cars. And with the pay out NOW the future of fuel racing does not look good.
Your friend
Larry Sutton---Lions starter 🤠

Larry,

Respectfully disagree, I think the future looks different, but that in my opinion doesn't make it look bad. And 50 years from now, it will look different from today.
I continue to marvel at the rose colored rearview mirror that many look through to the past. As well as the fact that nothing in the world is the same as it was then. It goes through phases, some great, some not so much, it always has and will continue to do.

I know plenty that think the 90's was the golden days of the sport. In the 90's people used to tell me how great it was in the 70's. When I was getting involved in the 80's people said that it sure wasn't like the good old days of the 60's. I'm sure that 20 years from now some will say that the 2000's or teens was the best.

Why is Drag Racing expected not to evolve when everything in the world evolves?

Your Friend,
Alan

Mark,
$2000 in 1969 calculates to $14,675 today according to Google. How many would show up today for $15,000 to win?

Does anyone know what it cost to build and race a Funny Car back then, in today's dollars?

Jim

The thing that always amazes me about those who choose to reminisce and long for the good 'ol days when everything was better is how the fact that many of the drivers they remember so fondly are no longer with us because they were killed. It's the main reason my grandfather got out the seat when he did. He was tired of seeing his friends lose their lives and knew that he was one misstep away from it himself. The final straw for him was when Dickie Harrell was killed in '71. Like Reinhart said, evolution happens across all facets of life and living in the past while only choosing to remember the parts that brought you joy does no favors for anyone.

I know some of you are and are not on Facebook so here goes. The Auto Imagery page is getting a lot of photos up on it from the seventies. Auto Imagery is one of the premier website for drag racing photos. (Scroll down a bit if you like T/Fs) ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back