2009 schedule (1 Viewer)

moon

Nitro Member
I don't know how they come up with the schedule, but the countdown has a stretch of 4 races in 4 weeks. You think with the cost of fuel, they would keep the east coast races together ...

Second annual NHRA Nationals Sept. 17-20 Concord(PSM)
24th annual O’Reilly Super Start Batteries NHRA Fall Nationals Sept. 24-27 Dallas (PSM)
22nd annual O’Reilly NHRA Mid-South Nationals Oct. 2-4 Memphis (PSM)
Fourth annual Virginia NHRA Nationals Oct. 9-11 Richmond

I don't know, it just seems to me like Dallas should either start or end this run ....

From a promoter's standpoint, Charlotte & Richmond are too close together, (only 250 miles apart) to get spectators to attend both races back to back, but if you spread them out over a few weeks you have a better than average chance the people will attend both events.

From a promoter's standpoint, Charlotte & Richmond are too close together, (only 250 miles apart) to get spectators to attend both races back to back, but if you spread them out over a few weeks you have a better than average chance the people will attend both events.

Don't forget, IHRA President's Cup Nationals is Sep. 25-27th at Maryland International Raceway. If NHRA would've run their race at Richmond that weekend, they would've absolutely killed our attendance. :eek:

good thoughts ... just to be clear, this was not meant to be critical of NHRA, it was a 1st glance "how the hell does that make sense?" deal ... I'm sure they have thei reasons ... thanks again for the insight - enjoy your sunday!

better idea...

let's just do an eastern swing during the season...

Atlanta, Charlotte, Bristol, Richmond, Reading, E-town, call it the I-95 Sweep. in that order, all tracks are less than 200 miles of each other...:rolleyes::eek:

d'kid

Last edited:
better idea...

let's just do an eastern swing during the season...

Atlanta, Charlotte, Bristol, Richmond, Reading, E-town, call it the I-95 Sweep. in that order, all tracks are less than 200 miles of each other...:rolleyes::eek:

d'kid

As someone else noted, this is a promoter's nightmare. From a standpoint of someone trying to get butts in seats, you turn a very special event into a weekly occurrence. As it is today, those events are about one-a-month -- perfect from a promoter's perspective. That's why the Western Swing works, the events are >800 miles apart. Tough on the race teams, but works because practically no one would attend them all...

Which is why the rolled eyes and the eek...

I really believe we have 66% more races than we need... too many 'National Events'. One a month from February to October is all we need. Bring 'PRO' cars back to Divisional events... and let the top three cars in each division go to the finals... one race for the championship and get rid of the countdown...

did you really think I would propose 6 races in a row within 500 miles of each other?

d'kid
from a time when we had fuel shows every weekend within 30 miles of each other...

I remember when Richmond had switched to IHRA a few years back, they claimed racing in the fall was a loser trying to compete with College Football in that area! And as big is College Football is around there I can understand the theory.

Which is why the rolled eyes and the eek...

Doh! <<slaps head>> Sarcasm, I get it :)

I really believe we have 66% more races than we need... too many 'National Events'. One a month from February to October is all we need. Bring 'PRO' cars back to Divisional events... and let the top three cars in each division go to the finals... one race for the championship and get rid of the countdown...

Very interesting idea. I don't hate the countdown as much as others, but I've thought about the how-many-is-too-many question (the whole football with 16 games vs. baseball with 162 games model of a season). And I think having two races anywhere is silly.

I remember when Richmond had switched to IHRA a few years back, they claimed racing in the fall was a loser trying to compete with College Football in that area! And as big is College Football is around there I can understand the theory.

Well Yeah, but Richmond in Mid Summer... 100 plus and 99%RN... not good, October date is right at the end of hurricane season... some of our funnest storms are late September/early October... been lucky the last three years....

d'kid

Well Yeah, but Richmond in Mid Summer... 100 plus and 99%RN... not good, October date is right at the end of hurricane season... some of our funnest storms are late September/early October... been lucky the last three years....

d'kid

Folks, you don't want to have to be in Richmond in July. That's why the race is where it is on the schedule.

NHRA has adjusted their schedule to put races at tracks when they have the best chance of avoiding harsh weather.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back