1981 NHRA World Finals (1 Viewer)

This old footage is great, its never not exciting to watch even if you know who wins or have seen it before its allways a thrill to watch.

Makes me miss Steve Evans every time I watch any old footage. A lot of this race made the original Decade of Thrills video.

34:43 Classis Evans, 34:53 is why nobody will ever come close to what he was for this sport.

Last edited:
It would be hard to get someone like Steve Evans today, he was so much more then a tv anouncer, he was a drag racing fan, he ran entire tracks, he was an anouncer and worked alongside Bill Doner. Never met the man but seems like his life and drag racing were pretty intertwined.

Love Billy Meyers, comments after burning the car up "I won though!" haha cars burnt up and all charred and he is just glad he won.

The Justice Brothers offices/museum in Duarte, CA has the Gary Beck Top Fueler there.

Anyone coming out to Winternationals shold swing by and check it out, it's about 15 minutes west of the Fairplex.

Racing Museum

Last edited:
Henry Walther and Gary did a nice job of restoring it. In a short period of time Gary ran the first 50's, 40's and 30's.

Beck is one of my all-time favorites. As an Aussie I was really excited when he landed with you guys on the quad-cammer.

It's a shame that engine's evolution as nixed by the NHRA.

Beck is one of my all-time favorites. As an Aussie I was really excited when he landed with you guys on the quad-cammer.

It's a shame that engine's evolution as nixed by the NHRA.

It's a REAL shame that "Ingenuity in action" was replaced by "Ingenuity Inaction."

So, we are reduced to watching Professional category racing downgraded to a drivers' contest in "cookie cutter" cars.

What a sad state of affairs.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back