1972 Plymouth Satellite (1 Viewer)

Patti

Nitro Member
Does anyone have any reserach links on this ride? I can't find much. Bill and I are looking at one. It seems a good deal, but a lot of wierd items... a "stock" 440 engine (318 seems the norm), but it's not a Sebring from what I've reserached thus far. The guy wants 5G. Waddya think? He said it was painted gold originally, now purple. It's in great shape bodywise. No ripples. We're thinking of making it a street rod to sell later, but hate to invest too much if she's mediocre.

A friend had one a few years back, but i dont remember what year it was. I thought it was a cool car because it was different from "what everyone wanted"!!! It seems that everybody now is trying to find "odd" cars to restore such as Summit's 61 Starliner which I think is great!!! I love walking up to a car and NOT knowing what kind of car it is vs. walking the car shows and seeing nothing but 1st gen camaros and 32 fords!!!
IMO, I would buy it, but i'm not sure about that purple color:eek:

IMO The 72 Satellite is a very non desirable Mopar. It did certainly NOT have a 440 engine in it as stock equipment. It might be worth 5K if the body is pristine but it will most likely never be worth a lot of money.;)

Look at the fifth digit of the VIN to find out the engine size that originally came in the vehicle. A 318 is G, a 440 is U.

Look at the fifth digit of the VIN to find out the engine size that originally came in the vehicle. A 318 is G, a 440 is U.

If it's a 'Satellite' it was NOT produced with a 440 in 1972. The Roadrunner/GTX would have had a low compression, low horsepower 440 as an option, but even if it were it wouldn't be a desirable car. Whatever money you put in a '72 Satellite will never be returned to you when you sell it. Otherwise...sounds like a great investment! ;)

For some silly reason, and I have explained my (and your) concerns to Bill, he wants this car. It is a sharp body style, The purple has got to go tho...

wish us luck... I think it's a done deal.

Thanks for the advice! and I'll keep you apprised of the situation (with pics, I hope)

For some silly reason, and I have explained my (and your) concerns to Bill, he wants this car.

That's the main thing. That he wants the car.

He isn't buying it to try and make a fortune off it, he's buying it because he likes it.

He can do whatever he wants with it. Doesn't have to worry about everything being perfect, and all original if he doesn't want to.

For some silly reason, and I have explained my (and your) concerns to Bill, he wants this car. It is a sharp body style, The purple has got to go tho...

wish us luck... I think it's a done deal.

Thanks for the advice! and I'll keep you apprised of the situation (with pics, I hope)

Pics, definitely pics! Sounds like a neat project.

I had a 74 charger with a 440 , it only had 195 HP till I modified the $hit out of it.

My cousin had a 70 Dodge Challenger with a 440 and he sold it for 46,000 and is still mad about selling it.
Seems he took it to a car show and was wiping the engine down and a guy came up and asked him if it was for sale.
He said no it wasn't.
The guy ask him if he was going to sell it what would he be asking for it.
He said 46,000 he guessed and the guy wrote him a check.
I have no problem with a clone as long as it is sold as one.
Looking at the prices the clones and modifieds are going for at Barret Jackson I wouldn't be scared of losing much money on a straight 72 or earlier muscle car.

Does anyone have any reserach links on this ride? I can't find much. Bill and I are looking at one. It seems a good deal, but a lot of wierd items... a "stock" 440 engine (318 seems the norm), but it's not a Sebring from what I've reserached thus far. The guy wants 5G. Waddya think? He said it was painted gold originally, now purple. It's in great shape bodywise. No ripples. We're thinking of making it a street rod to sell later, but hate to invest too much if she's mediocre.

Patti go to, moparts: Viewing list of forums
That is pretty much the board for mopar questions. If you have the fender tag numbers someone will be able to decode it for you to let you know exactly what it is. What it came with ect.

Ways To Support Nitromater