WatchESPN now available on Roku

Discussion in 'NHRA' started by Nitro Mustang, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Nitro Mustang

Nitro Mustang Nitro Member

For those of you with a Roku, they just announced the WatchESPN channel yesterday. I installed it last night and it's so nice now to be able to watch live NHRA without having to be on the computer! The pic looks great at 65". Yes it's a week late but for 2014 I can at least watch Friday night qualifying live and Sunday eliminations if I have the time. You still have to have a cable service to use it though, no way around that.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. mastertone

mastertone Nitro Member

Thanks for the tip Dave!
  3. Nitro Mustang

You bet. My wife came home from choir practice last night and she thought I'd struck oil in the back yard as excited as I was LOL :D Then again I'm very easily amused!
  4. mick

mick Nitro Member

thanks for the info Dave.....good stuff.
  5. ****er

****er Nitro Member

What is ROKU ? Don't have a clue ! LOL

I was looking into getting an adapter to go from USB port to CAT 5 cable--- going from my PC to my TV to watch ESPN 3 --

Anybody else tried/are doing this ?
  6. onfire

onfire Nitro Member

Won't you need to also have the video cable from the PC to the TV?
  7. mastertone

mastertone Nitro Member

8. ****er

****er Nitro Member

The way I read it , the CAT 5 will carry the video, as my TV and PC are 60 feet apart ------none of the normal cables will work at that footage --
  9. ****er

****er Nitro Member

10. megadeth

megadeth Nitro Member

But in order to watch it your provider has to carry it!
    Verizon, ATT Universe, Time Warner Cable etc.
    If they don't supply it you can't watch it live but you can watch the replays if they are posted.
  11. none

none Nitro Member

Dinosaur alert !!!
    I have been trying to minimize my cable bill but had to keep ESPN for drag races because I get the races with Xbox and ATT u-verse.
    My son recently bought me ROKU. Do I still have to keep the ESPN level plan or can I just get the minimal cable plan and get there through ROKU???
    HELP appreciated!
  12. Race Fan

Race Fan Nitro Member

HDMI cable ?
  13. Nitro Mustang

Pretty sure you'll stiil need to pay for espn2 to use the channel on the Roku. It will have you enter a code once you authenticate on your provider's web site.
  14. none

none Nitro Member

I was kind of afraid that would be the case. Thanks for the info!!
  15. flapjack

flapjack Nitro Member

Just got a Roku 3 and tried out the Watch ESPN channel. There are a few bugs either in the Roku interface or with the channel where you eventually get to a point where there is no going back and you are forced to go to the Roku home screen and then navigate back to the channel. But other than that, I can't wait to watch ESPN 3 coverage of NHRA racing next season on my HD TV, especially in surround sound.
  16. flapjack

flapjack Nitro Member

I have Cox and ditched cable TV (wasn't watching enough TV to justify the cost). But I still have ESPN 3 access through my account with Cox for internet access. I don't know what your provider does.
  17. flapjack

flapjack Nitro Member

One thing I found is that the ESPN channels are not available in surround sound. I have my Roku set up to have audio in surround sound, but ESPN 3 plays in standard stereo.
  18. none

none Nitro Member

Thanks Tom !
  19. clwill

clwill Staff Member Nitro Member

This doesn't change anything for me. My ISP doesn't participate, so even though I have a Roku, it still doesn't help...
  20. fabman

fabman Nitro Member

I use Sprint Overdrive and they don't offer espn3. You would think that as big of a sponsor in Nascar Sprint would offer the service.