Pro Stock Superbowl

Discussion in 'NHRA' started by NYNitro86, Jan 28, 2012.

1. NYNitro86

NYNitro86 Nitro Member

What's the news on this event at Las Vegas?
  2. Raconteur

Raconteur Nitro Member

3. vegasnitro

vegasnitro Nitro Member

I don't think that it is the "Pro Stock Superbowl" anymore. I just think it pre-season testing ... and whoever shows up, shows up. Based on the last couple of years, there will be less than 5 fuel cars, maybe 6 or 7 Pro Stockers.
  4. Rat

Rat Nitro Member

I miss the old pro stock superbowl, the qualifying lists looked like a top notch race.
  5. Johnny Mopar

Johnny Mopar Nitro Member

They ruined the event when they moved it to Las Vegas. It is an elevation track and offers little tuning data for the season opener the next weekend...at sea level. That's why the car counts are low. Vegas is a great track, but it's the wrong track for pre-season testing. The event was heavily attended when it was at Houston. Teams would rent Houston Raceway for testing in advance of the Pro Stock Super Bowl. It should still be there.
  6. Jeff White

Jeff White Nitro Member

Is my memory correct that the end of the Gay family and Pontiac's involvement with HRP resulted in the move to Vegas?
  7. Johnny Mopar

That sounds familiar to me. For the sake of the racers, the testing needs to be at close to sea level. Why not test at Pomona? NASCAR does their preseason testing at the site of their first race...Daytona. Obviously, it can be done. I'm sure NHRA will have some sort of an excuse why it can not be done.

I can't imagine why a team would test in Vegas before going to Pomona.
  8. none

none Nitro Member

John,

Pomona couldn't be done. They are only allowed so many "noisy" days at the track. And you can't say NHRA doesn't like testing at the tracks they own, Gainesville and Indy do a lot of test days.

The Pro's will go where they want to go. It seems that Florida is the newest hot spot for both the Nitro and PS guys.

If Houston wanted to do the event again they could. Certainly nobody is stopping them. I do know that when I went to those races as part of a team, more often than not the conditions were so good you couldn't learn much there either. After all, how often do you actually race with below Sea level adjusted altitude? Vegas is also only 4 hours from Pomona, that plays into the equation as well.

Alan
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  9. NYNitro86

NYNitro86 Nitro Member

Hey alan you gonna announce at the Preseason Blast off at Vegas?
  10. Rat

Rat Nitro Member

That's what I miss the most. My hometrack, E-Town, The May date was NOTORIOUS for that. It's just 2-3 weeks later now then it used to be, the cars still run good, but it's not what it could be in mid may.
  11. NYNitro86

NYNitro86 Nitro Member

or the Fall, it sometimes is Mineshaft conditions for the Shakedown at e-town...Last year it got warmer as the weekend progressed from a Mineshaft Friday to a little warmer saturday to a Summer-ish Sunday.
  12. none

none Nitro Member

Yes Rob,

I will be there this weekend,

Alan
  13. NYNitro86

NYNitro86 Nitro Member

Yay I can watch the Live cam and your e-mail is activated then!

"You folks watching at home on the live cam, you can e-mail me this weekend at...."
  14. Johnny Mopar

Alan,

I understand your points, especially the proximity of Vegas to Pomona. As a fan, I miss the full fields the Houston event had. I also miss the mine shaft conditions Houston was known for. I realize it's not often that races are held in those conditions, but for one fantasy weekend...let's see how quick and how fast they can possibly go. It's all for fun and bragging rights anyway. No testing number, at any track, means anything towards the championship. I'd much rather see that than altitude numbers from Vegas. Testing there is of very little value for the beginning of the season.
  15. none

none Nitro Member

John,

The Vegas altitude doesn't mater to the teams. The set up is slightly different, but it's not like Denver where you change everything but your helmet. When testing all you really need is a good baseline. Once you have that, you can learn that engine A is a couple hundreths better than engine B. Or that even though it has 6 HP less, Engine B gets into high gear 2 tenths quicker than engine A.

A half degree timing change in high gear that slows the car .4 MPH will be the same at Pomona. Or a .002 jet change over #6 that turns the plug a bit bluer will still do that at Houston. that's the kind of stuff the Dyno can't tell you so you have to run the car. And the pistons don't know they're in Vegas, because even with the plugs out they can't see anything-LOL

Alan
  16. 70AARCuda

70AARCuda Nitro Member

Probably go out and watch on Friday...
  17. Raconteur

Raconteur Nitro Member

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

A number of NHRA professional drag racing teams are scheduled to test this weekend at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Among the big names towing to Las Vegas for the annual Preseason Blast-Off are Jeg Coughlin Jr. and Cory McClenathan.

Coughlin, 40, is making his return to the Pro Stock ranks after sitting out the 2011 season. Although on hiatus last year from Pro Stock competition, Coughlin still was successful in sportsman racing, winning the Super Comp class at the SPORTSNationals in Bowling Green, Ky. and six high-dollar bracket events.

McClenathan has 38 NHRA wins to his credit and will test here in his Top Fuel Dragster.

Joining Coughlin and McClenathan this weekend: Allen Johnson, Greg Anderson, Jason Line, Shane Grey, Erica Enders, Greg Stanfield and Grace Howell. More pro teams are expected as pre-entry was not required. Several Top Alcohol Dragster, Top Alcohol Funny Car and Pro Mod teams also will test on a weekend predicted to be warm and sunny.

The test session, a preview of the 2012 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series, is open to the public. A single-day adult spectator pass is $20 and $6 for kids. Fans may save money by purchasing a three-day pass ($40 for adults, $12 for kids).

Professional team testing begins at 8:30 a.m. each day.

For more information, please call LVMS at (702) 644-4444 or visit Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Follow LVMS on Facebook and Twitter.

Friday, Feb. 3
    7 a.m. – Credential sales and gates open.
    7:30 a.m. – Tech inspection.
    8 a.m. – Sportsman Test ‘n’ Tune begins.
    8:30 a.m. – Staging lanes open for professional testing.
    3:30 p.m. – Staging lanes closed.
    4 p.m. – Testing concludes.

Saturday, Feb. 4

Sunday, Feb. 5
  18. Sean D, shondoo

Sean D, shondoo Nitro Member

Alan,

I get everything you're saying, but like John said, the fields were near world-class when the event was held in Houston. Now, it's just another test session where very few cars show up, despite it's close proximity to the season opener. What do you attribute the drop in participation to? Does is just come down to economics and there just simply aren't enough dollars in the kitty after all the off-season expenditures?

Sean D
  19. Paul

Paul Staff Member Nitro Member

Sean,

I think there used to be a purse when GM supported the Pro Stock Superbowl. That might have something to due with the attendance. I am sure someone will chime in with some facts on this.
  20. Greggo

Greggo Nitro Member

I believe you are correct.