Places to eat on the road

Discussion in 'NHRA' started by Ugly one, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Ugly one

Ugly one Nitro Member

We all have favorite....drivers, cars, crew chiefs, etc. What about places to stop at on those long road trips and grab a bite to eat. NO McD's or BK, I'm talking the places to DIE for, real comfort food. Ribs, chicken, steaks lots a sauce, butter and all the fixings. You know the places......where your arteries start clogging 5 miles before the offramp.:D
  2. The Counterfeiter

The Counterfeiter Nitro Member

Re: To DIE for

Interstate BBQ in Memphis!!! Make sure you park your car where you can watch it - :eek:
  3. ProNitro Pete

ProNitro Pete Nitro Member

InkMan,
    I new you would be one of the first to post gastro intestinal bliss food.:D
  4. DrRocket

DrRocket Nitro Member

Arthur Bryant's in K.C. Mo, on your way to Topeka. It's not everyones' cup of tea, because it's not cheap everyday sweet BBQ either. It's been there for a long time,and they know what they're doing.
  5. rollingthunder

rollingthunder Nitro Member

texas roadhouse in bristol tn good food and alot of nice eye candy to serve you.
  6. BF

BF Nitro Member

Neimergs (spelling ?) just off the interstate in Effingham, IL. We try to stop there every time we go to INDY. Steak and shrimp....mmmmmmmmmmm!
  7. Ginna

Ginna Nitro Member

There was this little BBQ joint as you were leaving Baytown, headed north toward Mt Bellview. Don't even remember the name of the place... total YUM!
  8. tomcat

tomcat Nitro Member

The Country Tavern in Kilgore, TX serves the best plate of ribs known to man. We ate there a lot when we were running brackets in Hallsville (RIP). If you are within 100 miles of there, it is a must stop.
  9. .

. Nitro Member

The Dutch Oven. Pella Iowa.

Pizza, onion rings and beer.

I (and Rapid Baker) used to stop there almost every Saturday night during the summer
    Lots of racers there.
    Moats, Dave Shafer, VanZee, Even seen Animal Jim and John Hagan there.

Used to be the best damn place to bench race in the midwest.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  10. Ginna

Ginna Nitro Member

And you know... When I lived in Taos... A trip to Pizza Emergency and Esky's Brew Pub for Wanda's Wicked Wheat usually made for a great evening! I should ask Carlie if they are all still there. Mante's Chow Cart (no longer a cart) made the BEST breakfast burritos. Oh man, I am missing that baaaad right about now.
  11. rick

rick Nitro Member

My vote is for the Brown Derby Roadhouse in in Milan (sandusky) Ohio right outside of Norwalk. It is a must visit for me every time I go to Norwalk. I have had chicken and their steak there and it is tremendous.
  12. Mike

Mike Nitro Member

Highway 58 between Bakersfield and the 15 in the very little town of Keene. Killer breakfest. Oh, its the only place there. Kinda hard to miss.
  13. slicky

slicky Nitro Member

Pomona , CA . Outside the fairgrounds and almost right behind tower . El Merendero . Some of the best mexican food ever . They also serve american style breakfast that could make a country boy mad at his momma . They open early , to go or eat in . There is a liquor store right next door that is very NHRA fan friendly .
  14. Fueler32

Fueler32 Nitro Member

Varsity Hot Dogs in Athens,Ga, During the Southern Nationals, Its a Must for everyone, Chili Dogs that Buster swore by, Buster would go in ther and order 12 Chili dogs and a Varsity Orange drink or Chocolate Milk,
  15. Tim5636sc

Tim5636sc Nitro Member

Ding...Ding..Ding.... We have a top 5 contender here!!!;)

However.... We also have one from Jimmy.... and Ironically it's "JIM'S INTERSTATE BBQ" in memphis. Having gone there for training for my company on several occasions, I'd say that BIG JIM'S Interstate is in the top 3 of BBQ Joints in Memphis... Gonna have to go with the "COMISARRY" for the WET RIBS, and the Classic "RONDEVOUZ" for the Dry Variety!!! :D

ALL OF THEM... RIB STICKIN....LIP SMACKIN GOOD!!!:eek:

Haven't found that MECA yet in Denver.... but I'm sure I can rustle up some ROCKY MOUNTAIN OYSTERS for ya'll!:eek:
  16. none

none Nitro Member

It`s definitely El Merenderos EVERY time I go to Pomona...I have to go there every February and November. Best breakfast burritos ever and the carne asadas after the race are a must!
    Gotta put Saltys at Redondo at the top of the list too whenever we go to Seattle. The Alaskan king crab legs (with horseradish mashed potatoes and asparugus spears) are incredible. You ain`t had king crab legs `til you`ve had `em in Seattle. The patio seating overlooking Puget Sound just adds to the experience!
  17. Jim Gunther

Jim Gunther Nitro Member

Just Friday night, I had some of the best Mac & Cheese EVER, at Planque-"something" Diner on Route 9 going North immediately befote the NJ Turnpike entrance. Great cheese baked in and, then, a tarp-o-cheese covering the entire dish. YUM!:eek:
  18. Larry

Larry Nitro Member

Currently till Susie reminds me of where that BBQ eatery in HEB Tx. and me and Mr. Dunlap check it out I would guess it would be the Blue Moon Cafe in Deleon Tx. then the Hwy 6 cafe in Deleon Tx. and for seafood , where else Tony's Seafood in Baton Rouge La. on Plank Rd.
    :: Tony's Live Seafood & Deli::

Texas Cafe burnt down in Cameron Tex. and the Family owned and operated Smorgasbord in Belton Tx. [ where they had to super size the sewer system] closed years ago.

I think that place is where I started going astray with the belt line.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  19. Reese

Reese Nitro Member

Thanks for changing the title of this thread.

T.J. Ribs in Baton Rouge off of Interstate 10 exit Acadian Thruway.
  20. Nitrohaulic

Nitrohaulic Nitro Member

What Larry said about Tony's above. There is a shopping center across the street you can get a tractor trailer in. Point at a catfish, tell them how you want it cooked, finish your shopping, pick it up at the other end.

Also, Brown's 100 foot buffet in Benton, Arkansas. I-30, exit #118 on the west bound service road. An old closed down fuel stop is nextdoor with plenty of room for truck parking, often under the canopy out of the sun.

YouTube - Brown's Country Restaurant in Benton, AR...simply FANtastic!
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008