Candies and Hughes, 1982

Discussion in 'NHRA' started by DrRocket, May 7, 2012.

1. DrRocket

DrRocket Nitro Member

The missus and I took in the Indy Speedway Museum during our recent vacation, and I found this car on display there. Thought you folks might be interested in seeing it. Mark Oswald's 1982 digger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This this is elegant in its simplicity.
  2. DrRocket

DrRocket Nitro Member

A couple more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This this is elegant in its simplicity.
  3. DrRocket

DrRocket Nitro Member

One more thing........

I don't EVER want to hear people on this board P & Ming about reserved parking costs again:

[​IMG]

Adjusted for inflation, that's $135 in today's dollars. :eek:
  4. Just Paul

Just Paul Nitro Member

Thanks for the pics..

I always like the Swindahl cars of that design. (82-84 for the most part)
  5. Les

Les Nitro Member

Agreed...I was just wondering if this exact car was still out there. I hope Joe Amato's 1984 Swindahl car still exists.
  6. Speed1288

Speed1288 Nitro Member

Is that the car that broke Garlits 250 record?
  7. Bullet

Bullet Nitro Member

Gainesville '84

Amato went 260mph in the semi's and 262mph in the final to upstage Kenny Bernstein who went 260mph in his Tempo Funny Car in the FC Final.
  8. Just Paul

Just Paul Nitro Member

Yup, sitting in Garlits Museum. :D
  9. Just Paul

Just Paul Nitro Member

It broke Garlits 5.63 record, and did set a MPH record, but I think the 250 MPH had been broken already.
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  10. Bullet

Bullet Nitro Member

I thought Jeb Allen was the first to better Garlits' 5.63?
  11. Just Paul

Just Paul Nitro Member

He could have ran better, but I'm pretty sure Oswald was first to reset the record (with back up).
  12. Nunz

Nunz Nitro Member

You could tell how much simpler the cars were back then. I'll bet that car is 500lbs. lighter than the current cars.
  13. rckymtn3

rckymtn3 Nitro Member

and maybe, what? 50"-60" shorter....

the Blue Max dragster was "cutting edge" as well....liked both of those cars.....but have always been a Candies & Hughes fan.....or I just liked hearing "Houma Lousiana....that's H-O-U-M-A".....
  14. Rajunz

Rajunz Nitro Member

Thanks for the pictures David. I remember that car very well, I was at the CajunNationals in '82 for that win. It was the only year that Mark Oswald drove a dragster for Candies and Hughes before they switched back to a funny car. Paul Candies always had really beautiful racecars, first class all the way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. Toejam

Toejam Nitro Member

I have seen that Dragster at the Indy Museum a couple of times! They rotate them in and out! Can't remember who else's has been in there!
  16. Nunz

Nunz Nitro Member

Things haven't changed, I was at Indy last year and was really impressed with how professional their Super Stock operation is. Impressed, but not surprised.
  17. Toejam

Toejam Nitro Member

It was, after 7 years!
  18. SoCal Racer

SoCal Racer Nitro Member

Thanks for the photos! I remember this car from the '82 U.S. Nationals when Mark Oswald drove though a huge wheelstand in round one. It just hiked the front end way up and held it out there for quite a ways. The fearless Oswald kept his foot in it for the win, making it one of the most exciting runs I've ever seen! You can see it here: 1982 U.S. Nationals part 1 at about 5:00 minutes in.
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  19. Bullet

Bullet Nitro Member

Mark Oswald is one of my favorite drivers and tuners of all time.
  20. Bullet

Bullet Nitro Member

Mark looks about 15yo in this photo at Baton Rouge!!